Free Roam Yet? 7 week old pullets

Catie1212

Chirping
May 1, 2023
Jamestown NY / Warren PA
I am exploring the possibility of letting my ladies start to roam. They are 7 weeks, but we have a lot of predators here - owl, other birds of prey, cats, coyotes, fox, bear, etc. They are about the size of a mourning dove, maybe a bit bigger. I have 5 acres, about 2.5 of it is woods. No fences. Is it time?

Also, how do you herd them and get them to come back?

Thanks! :)

Maybe you can set up something like this, or something similar that serves the same purpose?
1684441028397.png

Or they can be out when you are out as well? They are very vulnerable at that age.

I usually herd with food or treats, but that young they may get confused. They will want to go back to their domicile when it gets dark either way, but always make sure you don't have one trying to roost in a tree or something.

Start with just an hour before dark. They will naturally go back to the coop at that time. Sit out there with them, and when you see the first one headed that way, stand up with a can, and give it a shake and put some treat inside the run. This will train them to come running to the shaking of the can.

The more often, and the longer you let them out, the farther they will roam. The farther they roam, the bigger chance of a snatch.

Mrs K

Thanks for checking first. NO! It is not time. Start by coop training them with a bag of soldier flys or meal worms. Get them to come to you everytime you shake the bag. Once you get them trained to that reliably, THEN you can start letting them out for an hour in the evening, just before sunset with you outside with them.

They won't wander far, will likely return to the coop on their own as the light fades, and as a last resort, you can shake the bag.

Slowly start lengthening the time, but I wouldn't let them out unattended until they are at least 16 weeks. Also, if you let them out to free range before they start laying, you run the risk of them not learning to lay in the nestbox. Instead, you'll be egg hunting all over your 5 acres.

Regarding free range in general.... beware. If you have predator pressure, don't get too attached to any of your birds.

Maybe you can set up something like this, or something similar that serves the same purpose?
View attachment 3510035

Or they can be out when you are out as well? They are very vulnerable at that age.

I usually herd with food or treats, but that young they may get confused. They will want to go back to their domicile when it gets dark either way, but always make sure you don't have one trying to roost in a tree or something.
Thank you! I am going to see if hubby can make something like this :)

Start with just an hour before dark. They will naturally go back to the coop at that time. Sit out there with them, and when you see the first one headed that way, stand up with a can, and give it a shake and put some treat inside the run. This will train them to come running to the shaking of the can.

The more often, and the longer you let them out, the farther they will roam. The farther they roam, the bigger chance of a snatch.

Mrs K
Thank you! I love the treat can idea!

Thanks for checking first. NO! It is not time. Start by coop training them with a bag of soldier flys or meal worms. Get them to come to you everytime you shake the bag. Once you get them trained to that reliably, THEN you can start letting them out for an hour in the evening, just before sunset with you outside with them.

They won't wander far, will likely return to the coop on their own as the light fades, and as a last resort, you can shake the bag.

Slowly start lengthening the time, but I wouldn't let them out unattended until they are at least 16 weeks. Also, if you let them out to free range before they start laying, you run the risk of them not learning to lay in the nestbox. Instead, you'll be egg hunting all over your 5 acres.

Regarding free range in general.... beware. If you have predator pressure, don't get too attached to any of your birds.
Thank you! These are great suggestions! I really have thought about whether it is smart to even let them roam at all. I appreciate the age baseline as well.

It is all about your situation. You just have to weigh everything and make the best choice for what you have going on, I think. I was letting out 7 week old chicks, but they had an older flock that they were going along with, so the different variables change things.
Thank you! I still have a lot to learn and appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom