Freedom Ranger update @ 7 weeks Lots & Lots of PICTURES!!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moenmitz, Sep 24, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Songster

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    aw PC.. I know... I have never culled a bird before. But see, I AM attached to mine, and the rooster we WOULD cull is as cool as heck! He talks to us all the time and so far does not crow.

we just can't cull him.

These are all some fine looking birds.
    Our Mango is still alive I think at the neighbors.
    He is 5 months old.. I bet he is well over 10 pounds now.

He is a CornishX

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You could be sad about having to dispatch such handsome & lively birds to eat, or you could be happy to find your tasty meat wrapped in such attractive & interesting packages!

The Cornish Xs I had seemed almost reptilian with their cold blank stares. They seemed so inconvenienced doing anything but eating, laying around panting the rest of the day. I felt I was doing them a favor by dispatching them.

I find it helps to view my meaties like produce growing in my garden. I tend to their needs, admire their beauty, pay close attention to their growth, and anticipate their great taste after harvest!

3. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Songster

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Quote:what a great way to look at it! Imagine if we got attached to a tomato? ewwwww..

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Yeah, so far, I'm not feeling any attachment to the meaties, and they're 4 weeks old. I may escape yet!

The scovies, on the other hand, have me wrapped around their little fingers... um... paws.... claws?

5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Songster

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:Thanks. That's a great way to explain how we can eat what we raise.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I like that explanation too. We've culled dozens of roosters we had since they were an
    egg. Usually it's easy and having the freezer full of fresh chicken is great too.
    There have been a few roos that I got attached too but still did the deal. A few we got
    homes for.

We have 20 two weekold cornish in the brooder now and 20 fryers in the brooders
    next to them. I wish I could cull the cornish now. They are already so fat that their
    stomachs are bare and their butts are fat and pink.

The Rangers are simply so much different than the cornish. They won't get as large
    or grow as fast as a cornish but they are still amazing meat birds. They have
    personalities, similiar to RIR. It's easy to get attached to them. Me saying "I can't
    do it" is just another way for me to say how cool they are.

We will be culling the rest of ours over the next few weeks. Yeah, I'm attached to them
    but will still do the deed.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

its sounds like he loves you so much,, and will do anything to make you happy,,including filling your stomach with some great "yum yums" hehe [​IMG]

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Now that makes me feel so much better. [​IMG] [​IMG]

If I had a heart attack and died in the coop they would fill their crops with me.
    Survival of the fittest... Or the person with the hatchet.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    You would be Purple Chickenfeed after all [​IMG]

I am wanting Rangers next spring! See what you all did to me!

PC the good/evil silkies are on Day 16 now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: