Freedom Ranger update @ 7 weeks Lots & Lots of PICTURES!!!!

aw PC.. I know... I have never culled a bird before. But see, I AM attached to mine, and the rooster we WOULD cull is as cool as heck! He talks to us all the time and so far does not crow.

we just can't cull him.

These are all some fine looking birds.
Our Mango is still alive I think at the neighbors.
He is 5 months old.. I bet he is well over 10 pounds now.

He is a CornishX

You could be sad about having to dispatch such handsome & lively birds to eat, or you could be happy to find your tasty meat wrapped in such attractive & interesting packages!

The Cornish Xs I had seemed almost reptilian with their cold blank stares. They seemed so inconvenienced doing anything but eating, laying around panting the rest of the day. I felt I was doing them a favor by dispatching them.

I find it helps to view my meaties like produce growing in my garden. I tend to their needs, admire their beauty, pay close attention to their growth, and anticipate their great taste after harvest!

Yeah, so far, I'm not feeling any attachment to the meaties, and they're 4 weeks old. I may escape yet!

The scovies, on the other hand, have me wrapped around their little fingers... um... paws.... claws?

Quote:
I like that explanation too. We've culled dozens of roosters we had since they were an
egg. Usually it's easy and having the freezer full of fresh chicken is great too.
There have been a few roos that I got attached too but still did the deal. A few we got
homes for.

We have 20 two weekold cornish in the brooder now and 20 fryers in the brooders
next to them. I wish I could cull the cornish now. They are already so fat that their
stomachs are bare and their butts are fat and pink.

The Rangers are simply so much different than the cornish. They won't get as large
or grow as fast as a cornish but they are still amazing meat birds. They have
personalities, similiar to RIR. It's easy to get attached to them. Me saying "I can't
do it" is just another way for me to say how cool they are.

We will be culling the rest of ours over the next few weeks. Yeah, I'm attached to them
but will still do the deed.

its sounds like he loves you so much,, and will do anything to make you happy,,including filling your stomach with some great "yum yums" hehe
wink.png

Quote:
Now that makes me feel so much better.
tongue.gif
roll.png

If I had a heart attack and died in the coop they would fill their crops with me.
Survival of the fittest... Or the person with the hatchet.

Back
Top Bottom