Freedom Ranger Vs. Heritage Breeds

IMG_2522.PNG

Bresse Fattening

IMG_2523.PNG

Cornish X Fattening

I'm starting to see a pattern... :hmm

I used the Sussex just as an example as most know the amount of meat typically taken from them.

The Sasso x Marans were culled at 15 weeks, the Sussex I'm comparing it too would be 24 weeks, so I feel the Sasso x Marans is a worth while cross.
Although I think the Sasso crossed with most breeds would be worthwhile.
If I was doing it again I would grow out the Sasso x Marans until about 20 weeks to see what it's full potential would be.
I agree, I think I was misunderstanding your post. Looking at Molpet's post, try one of those breeds!

I posted before in another thread.. but incase anyone is interested, heritage birds comparison of weights and food consumption.. your milage may differ.
from: https://projects.sare.org/project-reports/fnc12-866/
DATA
I have included multiple charts with the following data, but here it is in a simple text format. I have ordered data within the following sections based simply on the order of the shelters on pasture, not from highest-to-lowest or lowest-to-highest. This is for ease of comparison.

Total feed consumption per bird, by breed:
– Dominique – 22.808 lb.
– White Plymouth Rock – 24.385 lb.
– Naked Neck – 24.137 lb.
– Silver-Laced Wyandotte – 26.487 lb.
– Speckled Sussex – 20.821 lb.
– New Hampshire Red – 24.302 lb.
– Delaware – 23.110 lb.
– AVERAGE – 23.721 lb.

Average live weight per bird at processing (18 weeks 4 days), by breed:
– Dominique – 4.388 lb.
– White Plymouth Rock – 5.010 lb.
– Naked Neck – 4.815 lb.
– Silver-Laced Wyandotte – 4.686 lb.
– Speckled Sussex – 4.103 lb.
– New Hampshire Red – 5.238 lb.
– Delaware – 4.801 lb.
– AVERAGE – 4.720 lb.

Average dressed weight per bird, by breed:
– Dominique – 2.98 lb.
– White Plymouth Rock – 3.40 lb.
– Naked Neck – 3.38 lb.
– Silver-Laced Wyandotte – 3.17 lb.
– Speckled Sussex – 2.85 lb.
– New Hampshire Red – 3.29 lb.
– Delaware – 3.03 lb.
– AVERAGE – 3.16 lb.

Dressing percentage rate, by breed:
– Dominique – 67.86%
– White Plymouth Rock – 67.84%
– Naked Neck – 70.27%
– Silver-Laced Wyandotte – 67.74%
– Speckled Sussex – 69.52%
– New Hampshire Red – 62.87%
– Delaware – 63.02%
– AVERAGE – 67.02%

Feed efficiency rates based on live weight (lb. feed per lb. gain), by breed:
– Dominique – 5.20
– White Plymouth Rock – 4.87
– Naked Neck – 5.01
– Silver-Laced Wyandotte – 5.64
– Speckled Sussex – 5.08
– New Hampshire Red – 4.64
– Delaware – 4.81
– AVERAGE – 5.02

Feed efficiency rates based on dressed weight (lb. feed per lb. carcass), by breed:
– Dominique – 7.66
– White Plymouth Rock – 7.17
– Naked Neck – 7.13
– Silver-Laced Wyandotte – 8.34
– Speckled Sussex – 7.30
– New Hampshire Red – 7.38
– Delaware – 7.64
– AVERAGE – 7.49

Cost of production per lb. dressed weight, by breed*:
– Dominique – $4.08
– White Plymouth Rock – $3.71
– Naked Neck – $3.73
– Silver-Laced Wyandotte – $4.21
– Speckled Sussex – $4.01
– New Hampshire Red – $3.82
– Delaware – $4.05
– AVERAGE – $3.90
* These cost figures are to be used for reference only, and are not intended to be authoritative or even typical. Clearly one’s own enterprise costs will vary largely depending on a number of factors. Farmers should input their own relevant costs, using the breed-specific data above, to best determine their own potential outcomes. My own production costs are based on the following:
– cost per chick of between $1.34 and $1.45 (depending on breed);
– feed cost to butcher date at $0.365/lb. for bagged non-GMO feed;
– processing equipment rental cost of $75.00 for one day;
– bags, clips, and labels at $0.371 per bird;
– mileage to pick up chicks from the hatchery, pick up feed, and pick up and return processing equipment;
– and approximate shelter depreciation cost of $1.00 per bird
Extremely helpful! Thanks Molpet!

I completely understand your point of view, but I'm not going to say one is better than the other. I agree that the rustic crosses produced by Sasso and Hubbard have better movement and frame, and they are better suited for the pasture. The Cornish Cross was bred for the opposite, to deal with cramped conditions and to produce a huge amount of meat in a fast amount of time. Although Cornish Cross were MEANT for this, they CAN be free ranged and do quite well if raised properly. Special needs need to be taken into account though, restricted feed (not high protein), plenty of ranging space, among other things. Here are some accounts

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-cornish-x-for-meat-–-the-truth.66015/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rnish-x-meaties-tractors-do-not-count.813414/

My conclusion, rustic crosses are more ideal for alternative rearing methods, and Cornish Crosses are more ideal for conventional raising. Cornish Crosses work for ranging, they aren't ideal. I see tons of Cornish Cross vs Freedom Ranger (or other rustic crosses) comparisons, it makes no sense! People get rustic birds to get away from the Cornish Cross and have an ideal pasture bird, so nobody wants to see them being compared to Cornish Crosses. They should compare them to heritage breeds, because they could have used heritage so you want to see how efficient they are compared to them. Protesting and comparing Cornish Crosses and rustic crosses is useless, like rocks and apples, some people want cx, some want rustic.
But as such I made this thread for rustic crosses and heritage breeds, so I don't want to bring in the conflict of Cornish Cross into this equation.

I think I would do the Marans cross again, especially when I have improved them over a few years, but this time I will grow them on until 20-24 weeks and compare the merits of doing so.

I also have some very nice Cornish to cross with the Sasso next year, they are decent birds in there own right and I'm starting to get Roosters making 2.8kg in 16 weeks live weight.

I think I would do the Marans cross again, especially when I have improved them over a few years, but this time I will grow them on until 20-24 weeks and compare the merits of doing so.

I also have some very nice Cornish to cross with the Sasso next year, they are decent birds in there own right and I'm starting to get Roosters making 2.8kg in 16 weeks live weight.
Cornish x Sasso would definetely improve the frame and movement, very worthwhile cross!

Also if this is you're first time with Sasso x Marans, then you're bound to get better with them through selective breeding for the best individuals.

All the Sasso x Marans Roosters are now in the freezer but I kept back the Pullets to see how they lay and how dark the eggs will be.
The sex linkage was very interesting.

I'm hoping to keep this pure Sasso breeding group going as long as I can, I've also given eggs to others with the same goals for these hybrids so hoping to have blood lines to swop in future generation.
Although I think there designed to be greatly inbred.

Yes I agree the Sasso x Cornish will make some interesting offspring.

Back
Top Bottom