Freedom Rangers

SteeleFaithFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Union, Illinois
Next year I plan on raising meat birds. I'm looking for an alternative to the Cornish Cross. I've heard a little about the Freedom Ranger. I want my birds to do well in a free range environment. How big does the Freedom Ranger get and how long? I'm hoping for something that can dress well in 4 to 6 months. Does anyone have a breed or crossbreed they like for meat purposes. I have several Delaware pullets and two cockerels that I may use to bed my own meat birds.

Brad

Hello,, last year I got freedom rangers from the hatchery in Penn. Loved Them!!! They ran around like normal chicken, not those pathetic ultra-fast growing Cornish crosses. I had some at five to six pounds at nine to ten weeks, and kept a few out to eight to nine pounds at about four months. Nice birds!!! I'm raising more this year. Good luck, Mary

Hello,

I bought some real Freedom Rangers from a BYC member here in Florida. When I got them they were I think 18 weeks. It was another week before I could process them. The 1 rooster in the group dressed out at 11 lbs. skined, no giblets. Was worried about him being tough at that age. But cooked him today for chicken and rice. He is so tender, and froze half for use later. I am so impressed with the Freedom Rangers that I am planning on getting 50 for this fall with my chicken neighbor that lives behind me on her 5 acres. They will be free ranged with my layer flock and have access to all 5 acres that I have.

I am not too worried about predators, I have good fences and some of my horses will kill stray dogs. And my flock has learned to run to the horses and get under them. I know weird, but it works.

Maye

Last edited:
Thanks for the wonderful information. Do F.R. breed well or are they too big to breed naturally? I would prefer to have some breeding stock to avoid buying new every year. because of their coloration could they be used in sex link hybrids?

Back
Top Bottom