Freeze to death?

Stumars

Chirping
Aug 24, 2020
Hi,

Our household is a bit heartbroken today. We found our 1 year old male (George) dead this morning. No signs of harm.
It was -2c last night. The other girls (3 of them) were fine and all were in their coop.

I am planning to bring them into the house now. But cant help feeling guilty, do you think he could have frozen to death?

So sorry. He could have had something physically wrong with him that made him more susceptible to the cold. Minus 2 degrees is a temperature that would cull an ill bird for sure.

Hi,

Our household is a bit heartbroken today. We found our 1 year old male (George) dead this morning. No signs of harm.
It was -2c last night. The other girls (3 of them) were fine and all were in their coop.

I am planning to bring them into the house now. But cant help feeling guilty, do you think he could have frozen to death?
It’s highly unlikely that the temperature killed him. I keep mine outside year round and have already had windchills/temps down in the teens this year. As long as there is protection from wind, he wasn’t wet, and fully feathered.

It’s highly unlikely that the temperature killed him. I keep mine outside year round and have already had windchills/temps down in the teens this year. As long as there is protection from wind, he wasn’t wet, and fully feathered.
he wasnt wet. he was fully feathered.
He just curled up next to his food bowl.

As a Jap quail is 1 year 3 months ok for lifespan?

he wasnt wet. he was fully feathered.
He just curled up next to his food bowl.

As a Jap quail is 1 year 3 months ok for lifespan?
It’s a little on the low side…..how long have they been outside???? Sounds like he may have had something else going on. I have some quail that are on their second or third winter in the aviary

It’s a little on the low side…..how long have they been outside???? Sounds like he may have had something else going on. I have some quail that are on their second or third winter in the aviary
And I have a poor lonely button hen who is on her 2nd winter, partially bald and still doing well. :idunno

And I have a poor lonely button hen who is on her 2nd winter, partially bald and still doing well. :idunno
poor girly.

He has been a bit quieter the last 4 months. He had his fav hen (Pip) that he over mated with. One day she fought back and he was scared of her. Then they settled down and he spread the love around. But all in all he was ok in himself, just not as shouty at me

I think I am going to get a big rabbit indoor cage and they can come inside. Maybe they can re-bond with Marshmellow who they kept attacking after we moved house. Marshmellow has been living with my daughter in her bedroom

Aw, wish I could take her. I need layers and have two boys. I was planning or swap one for a hen as I only ever wanted a small number. I am kicking them out of the brooder now so I can use it to incubate them some girlfriends hopefully.

Aw, wish I could take her. I need layers and have two boys. I was planning or swap one for a hen as I only ever wanted a small number. I am kicking them out of the brooder now so I can use it to incubate them some girlfriends hopefully.
She does ok….and by button standards she’s reaching old age……she probably laid about 2-3dozen eggs this year but I’m not sure how much longer she will lay. If she starts showing too much stress from the weather, I will move her to the heated shed area. All the other critters go in and out on their own but I’ve never seen her go in.

Back
Top Bottom