Freeze warning and molting girls

This is just a low protein scratch grain blend. It's good for a treat and extra calories but if anything it will pull the overall protein of the diet down. (BOSS with the shell on is only in the 18% protein range) A bag of freeze dried mealworms is a great high protein snack (50%+). Even Miss Grumpy Pants will love you when you show up with these. You can buy a bag of all flock or meatbird feed that will be in the 20-25% range. Feed it solely until everyone is done with a Ca source on the side (oyster or egg shells). You can also mix it with their layer to just bump up the protein if you feed extra low protein vegetables and fruit. A few handfuls of cat food (30%) tossed in the run as a scratch treat will help up the overall protein content. If you feed soybean meal or roasted soybeans to your other livestock, mix in a few # with their regular feed. This will up the % the fastest.

@motherhenfran oh, Ic, thanks for clearing that up
smile.png
I was worried! lol

Last edited:
@Percheron chick I do the freeze dried meal worms and everyone loves those
1f44d.png
what's a good fruit or veggie for protein for them? Thanks for your tips everyone
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

I live in the Uk and have been told to rub vaseline on the chookies combes and wattles when the weather is freezing, stops them getting frost bite. Also to put them to bed with a full crop of one of their treats: corn or wheat or a mix of both, keeps them warm in the cold weather. I am wondering do they need something on their combs and wattles in the summer as a preventative for sun burn?

Fruits and vegetables (other than legumes) are going to be low in protein. I was just saying IF you feed fruits and vegetables regularly, a higher protein feed isn't a bad idea.

Just got a game bird feed with 26% protein. I will mix it wirh their regular layer feedy I boost the amount of protein they're getting

@Percheron chick I realized that was an "if you feed them fruits and veggies" after I posted my reply. They get the occasional berries/lettuce/apples. Watermelon when it's hot to keep hydrated. But nowr thay it's cold its been more corn/seeds/etc to help them keep the weight up

Back
Top Bottom