freezer bags

Yes. That's how we do it with the shrink bags from Cornerstone. You put the birds on a 'drying rack' to drain excess water and then slip the bag over them. Then we use hog rings to close the bags. Then we dunk them into a turkey fryer full of 200 degree water and it shrinks the bag around the bird. It looks beautiful and saves the bird from any freezer burn.

Drying rack instructions, hog rings, pliers and bags can all be found on the Cornerstone Farm website. If you have questions, call Jim McLaughlin there, he's wonderful and so helpful.

I got some of those shrink bags from a friend, they're great. I heated water in my tea kettle and poured over them, but the turkey fryer or a big pot probably works better.

Mine were only chicken size, but I think they have turkey size. For how big a turkey, I don't know. An 8 month old Broad Breasted Bronze can be over 60 lbs.

I didn't have any hog rings, I just did a firm twist of the bag, and tight twist tie. I want hog rings next time, though.

I have some advice....

If you order the hog rings and pliers from Cornerstone to seal the shrink bags, make sure you get the spring loaded pliers. They are much better than the others because they hold the hog ring in place. Otherwise it will fly out and annoy you.

Again, call and talk to Jim there if you have any questions, he's great.

Back
Top Bottom