Freezing Frost and Ice Crystals

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by katharinad, Nov 29, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    where were your ducks? sitting by the fire place.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

The ducks are in the small pen with hay on the ground and access to the slightly heated duck house. It was 8 degrees Fahrenheit, so I did not let them out onto the frozen ground. They don't like it when it is so cold and you can see it is stinging their little feet. They will be out later when it gets over the freezing mark. We don't get that often freezing frost that builds such large ice crystals. It is very beautiful to see.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It was very pretty. When we have snow and or ice I throw saw dust out for mine to walk on [my husband thinks I'm nuts] but thats okay I think they appreciate it.

5. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    How neat! Those are truly beautiful pics. We're seriously considering moving to your area some day. Thanks for sharing I love looking at gorgeous pics!!

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Beautiful! I'm so jealous. I've rarely seen anything like this, much less live in it. I will be moving somewhere that has snow when I retire in a few years!! I know, most people move to Florida and I'm moving out of it...maybe not for too long...but long enough to have some real winters! [​IMG]

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Very nice pictures.Thanks for posting them!

I want to move sounth.I can live with just pictures of the cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by