French BCM

MichelleAbcs

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Well, I can't believe I did it but I purchased chicks from a straight run. This was the only option I had. I have wanted a really dark egg layer so I purchased 8 french black copper maran with hopes of getting at least 4 girls. I would say that my odds are okay. They just arrived today so they don't have any visual difference at this point of course. You all will get pics in a few weeks. They are SO adorable currently. They all look like little "Happy Feet" penguins. How do hatchery organizations sex the chicks upon birth?

Well, I can't believe I did it but I purchased chicks from a straight run. This was the only option I had. I have wanted a really dark egg layer so I purchased 8 french black copper maran with hopes of getting at least 4 girls. I would say that my odds are okay. They just arrived today so they don't have any visual difference at this point of course. You all will get pics in a few weeks. They are SO adorable currently. They all look like little "Happy Feet" penguins. How do hatchery organizations sex the chicks upon birth?

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Hatcheries vent sex chicks to determine the sex with 90% accuracy. Sex-links are assorted by color, usually high school age kids are hired to sort sex-links lol. Post some photos of your little ones, also just wanted to let you know they can be bred to French standard but they are not a French Marans unless they come directly from France. So we refer to them as Black Copper Marans or just BCM.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Hatcheries vent sex chicks to determine the sex with 90% accuracy. Sex-links are assorted by color, usually high school age kids are hired to sort sex-links lol. Post some photos of your little ones, also just wanted to let you know they can be bred to French standard but they are not a French Marans unless they come directly from France. So we refer to them as Black Copper Marans or just BCM.

Hmm. So even if they are advertised as French Black Copper Maran from the hatchery you still should just refer to them as BCM? I really don't know the answer. I watched some crazy you tube video that gave instructions on trying to vent sex them. Feather sex them. What a JOKE. All that happened is that I got pooped on and I made one chick throw up. I hope I didn't hurt him / her. I am just so inpatient. Another crazy video I watched said at 10-14 days old to look and see if there are tail pin feathers and if they have them at this young age then they are girls. I am not sure if there is ANY truth to any of these alternate methods. Why can't chickens have bigger penis so I can tell. haha

Well. Odds would tell me that if I have 8 chicks that I should at least end up with 3 girls. Let's hope so. I am nervous about trying to find homes for the boys.

Back
Top Bottom