French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Lasagna anyone? I made 2 huge pans.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. So, those silly chicks are still roosting on that steel beam every night, and I'm moving them to the wooden roosts once it's dark enough that they won't fly back up. Not a huge problem, though you'd think I was devouring them[​IMG] I've only been moving them because the metal gets cold, but do I really have to? Y'see, Mr. P and I will be going on a short trip for my birthday, and the grandparents will be watching the girls and the animals the 2 nights we're gone. I usually fill up the feeder and waterer so that the only thing to be done for the chickens is to open and close the door--and there's enough room that they could, technically, just be left in the whole time. I know that the steel beam won't go colder than the ambient temperature, and I've checked the forecast. Will a 37-40 degree Fahrenheit steel bar cause frostbitten toes If the chicks stay on it all night? the supplemental lighting comes on at 4am, so before the coldest part of the night--and the lights are incandescent Christmas lights wrapped around the beam.

3. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    :drool

1 person likes this.
  4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Looks great WV.

leftover ham, fingerling potatoes and tiramisu for us today.

5. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Dangit, I forgot the tiramisu! :)
    We had leftover ham from the SILs earlier, but I'm saving room for plenty of lasagna.

6. stuffed thank you some cute for you girls Niece's daughter an the Christmas party star even the name Lia Wren first and middle [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Amy, even on a metal pole temperatures above freezing will not cause frost bitten feet. They should be fine. Have a Happy Birthday, and leave your worries at home.

8. If they get on the bar with wet feet could be bad if the bar is below freezing

9. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Oh my! She's adorable K!!

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    At those temps they should be fine... if you're really worried, wrap some old cloth (worn out clothes or towels) around it... duct tape or electrical tape works wonders, lol... Fudge came in!!! Thank you!!!! :drool :love :hugs :thumbsup
    She's beutiful, K!!! Got your fudge... ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by