French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Sounds great. I need to get some pepperoni going. We sampled a couple of links of sausage for lunch.

[​IMG]
    Fresh outta the smoker

[​IMG]

Chilling before packaging

[​IMG]

A couple for lunch

[​IMG]

Picnic ham in the smoker. I put it in to cure on December 19th. I was going to smoke it when I got home, but it's gonna be cold. Just hope it finishes before I have to leave in the morning.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    So i have this quail chick that isnt feathering properly :/ ive been watching it and idk whats wrong with it. Hatched these guys 12 days ago now. I dont *THINK* its a protien defficency because the quail chicks are all on a 27% starter :/ idk wth yall, could it have to do with the parent stock, the poisoning of the eggs or maybe genetics? check it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)fl) HIS ;) siblings all look normal and slightly larger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But u see how the first chicks feathers are still encased, growing, but twisted? :(

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Is it lighter than the others too? It may be a form of failing to thrive...

4. mixedUPturk

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA

My scale is broken i cant get exacts :( but hes deff slightly smaller. Your saying like hes not preening? Maybe ill try some enrichment. Should i seperate him and a buddy to give him better access to feed n water, or will that stress him? These quail are very high strung, i look forward to getting back to chicks.

5. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Wasn't specifying preening, but they tend to not do it when not thriving either... weight wise, sounds like that... personally, I would think of culling since those tend to never catch up and end up smaller in the long run... but if you want to try, I wouldn't separate, just give it some straight shots of nutridrench as extra boost...

6. mixedUPturk

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA

Okay, i can do that!

Im thinkn if i jus wait til im proccessing the males, itll go n the pot, a planned cull for sure, even if it turns out the be a She, its obviously not breeding stock.

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Good plan! :)

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Turk!! Sorry about the one baby. That's odd. I think yall have come up with a good plan, but wondered if you checked the quail threads. I can think of wonderful folks for all our different sweet burbs, except the quail. Who are the quail gurus?

9. mixedUPturk

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA

Thanks!

I saw where another person had this problem pictured in the quail thread but they never responded witht the type of feed that they used.

I thought about starting a thread there and i guess i still can. Whatdo u think? Im semi concerned its genetic, i was warned about A&M whites having a problematic double reccessive gene when i got my first.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  10. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Caught Johnny mid song
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by