French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Humidity comes from the surface area of the water, not the depth. So you might want to try cut sponges in the other channel so you can add or subtract sponge pieces until your humidity gets stable.

The air in your house might be really dry this time of year due to running your furnace.

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    The 20 is totally different. In the winter it takes both wells just to get to 40%. Be careful filling them all the way, it will leak when you turn it. You just have to do 3/4 and fill them more often. You can close the vent halfway to help, too. I've run it 1/4 open in a the winter with no issues. It takes a paper towel to wick water at lockdown, that's the only time I wish I had a pump, but I've always hatched that way with great hatch rates

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Kahlua is wonderful, French vanilla flavor. Yum

Biggest complaint about the 20 is keeping humidity up.
    Remember, depth doesn't increase humidity. For lockdown you can add a paper towel under the basket, draped through the wells, so it adds surface area and wicks water from the wells. Fix up a tube thru the vent to add more water as necessary when that time comes.

4. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

:highfive:
    Wasn't sure you were around to answer. ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  5. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Mentioning the 20 is kinda like flying the Bat signal :gig

1 person likes this.
  6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Monday thru Friday... maybe... weekend wuss... :lol:

7. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    :thumbsup

8. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you!
    Yes, it's cold outside and I have forced hot air heat, that dries everything out. Didn't you have a sponge in one of the rails, in your pic?

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only struggling to get to 40. I will add more water to the other well. Are you running your sets at 40? Mine have been doing better a little higher then that.

I didn't even think about closing the vent hole. I noticed there are 4 holes in the bottom yellow part. Probably for water over flow but I thought they also may help with ventilation. By any chance, do you know if you can add a humidity pump to my model?

Tubing is a great idea! I'm just so surprised that the humidity isn't higher in there. I could probably add a sponge and then have the water drop on the sponge via the tube, right?

9. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    [​IMG]

No, I don't use a sponge, you probably saw a piece of cardboard I used as a spacer or something, I use one well full and the humidity pump since we are so dry here. Maybe during the summer monsoons I might be able to put less water in, but here we are usually super dry, and the heater doesn't help. For lock-down I used both wells full and a paper towel and the humidity pump. The pump drips water onto a pad that hangs under the fan.

My shipped eggs have also come from lower altitudes, so I ran the vents wide open to increase ventilation. On local eggs, my friend runs hers about 3/4 open. You might try that.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ruby, one other thing, this last hatch of mine, I added food coloring to my water because through all the eggs, and through the basket, the wells were really hard for me to see the water level. Just a thought to keep in mind. Wouldn't be so bad with just a few eggs, but I had it stuffed!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by