French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Humans have a better sense of smell than we give ourselves credit for, but our dogs do even better. All we have to do is train our dogs to find eggs with the right smell. Day 1 incubation would be fine, but day 8 is pretty late to make that decision as far as not "wasting" eggs.

2. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Those are some seriously lovely birds!

3. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I tossed the remains of a deer carcass in the chicken yard today. I tossed a few hunks of fat and some strips of meat to the turkeys, they circled it and stalked it and hissed at it but wouldn't taste it. The chickens dove right in, ripping meat scraps off and running around playing chicken football till bedtime. That's good high protein and high fat as well.

4. So, I'm down to one chick (have been for a couple days, actually). I suspect the other 3 weren't eating (I had them in the coop with the heating pad I'd used last spring--I know now I should've had them inside where I could make sure they were eating, since Frieda stopped being broody just before hatch because of a combination of bad luck with weather and my forgetting (and thus not fixing) a leak. Though one of the 3 may have been carried off by a rat--all I know is that there was no trace. The 2 bodies I did have were really thin, but with hydrated-looking toes. Since I've read that chicks aren't dead until they're warm and dead, I put them in the incubator. I left them for over 6 hours, so I'm confident that they were truly dead...

Anyway, the lone chick is doing great physically--nice full crop when I checked this evening, getting wing feathers, nice strong lungs... It's lonely, though. Both feedstores finished carrying chicks a couple of weeks ago, and feelers I've put out on fb haven't yielded anything. Didn't see anything on any of the three local-ish CLs. Well, I lie, but I don't want to go 2 hours one way to buy 1 or 2 chicks[​IMG] Even if I wanted to, I don't think Mr. P would be exactly thrilled with the idea. Does the fact that it can see all the grown-up and adolescent chickens help any? Would it help any if I were to make or buy a feather duster, for the tactile bit?

5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Archery season here is always like that. We've had some cold evenings, but it can be a challenge. This year we got a fridge that wasn't being used out of my building at work, hubby stripped out the interior and made a rod to hang the quarters from. Worked really well. There has been a lot of this season already where its been too warm to even think about hunting, even with the fridge available.

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Oh Amy, I'm so sorry... I really don't know what advice to give you. Maybe put a wanted ad on CL for a couple little ones?

7. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    @AmyPaperlady feather duster might help, but definitely try a mirror... heard that helps singletons a lot...

8. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Lone chicks can be a challenge. Maybe expand your search to baby quail, ducklings, turkeys or guinea fowl?

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/grd/5303420849.html

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/grd/5304246987.html

I think these might be somewhat near you?

9. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    If you don't have any other ducks, I wouldn't suggest ducklings (you will end up wanting more!) and my ducks hated my chicks lol

10. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop
    I wonder what he sounds like!.......I'm intrigued!
    Get him girl!
    Seriously!
    Hahahahaha!!!!!
    That's and add a small stuffed animal it can cuddle with. I would also do the mirror. I'm sorry your hatch didn't work out like you wanted. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by