French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    So it's the pesticides and not the lack of turning the soil, right?

There are many ways to do no till farming without using pesticides, so that is why I was confused. Thanks.

2. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch Premium Member

I never considered the soil not being turned as a possibility; that's an interesting thought.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Well I had no idea that "modern" no till farming uses such a massive amount of pesticides. Yuck.

4. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch Premium Member

I'm not a farmer, so I'm not "up" on current no-till practices; hopefully, the pesticide use has diminished over the decades. All I know is that the farms in my area are no-till & quail & pheasant are non-existant. We've always had our share of predators, so what's left?

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    tree rats

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hey Friday, how long is your vacation?

7. Hello Friday wherever you are . the biggest thing is herbicides . Farmers burn down the weeds before they plant in no till . this is where GMO comes into play . Seed producers trying to make grain crops produce more and be more bug resistant . most small birds cannot feed on large grains . and pesticides kill the small insects they would eat. most full grown insects do very little damage to crops. it's the Larva that feed on the crops their after . Chemical company's are very powerful . any time you take medicine your feeding them . a lot of the same people make poison . so many farmers don't feed the soil they feed the plant . [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  8. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Checking out of this house tomorrow, then a night on Key Largo, then will stay by the airport Sunday night for a very early flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Denver Monday. Then we have a 6 hour drive home, either Monday afternoon or Tuesday, depending on weather.

Can't believe we have been here a week already!

1 person likes this.
  9. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I blame Monsanto

10. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment

Hi K, I think I meant to say herbicides, since the article I read talked about chemically killing the cover crop prior to planting the cash crop, so you conserve the topsoil, then poison it. Blech

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by