French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Crash time...

[​IMG]

2. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Okay....right now they are all free range...sort of...I let the three adults...two drakes one hen wander the world as they wish...of course I put them up at night.....I put the four younger hens in a fenced in garden...so they are separated. At night they are in separate pens....soon though when the snow is three to four feet high they won't be as free range as they might like.....I guess what I am asking is once the hens ,reach the right age will they be more "willing" to go along with the drake advances (for a lack of a better term). Sorry I really thought it would be a little easier getting them to mix together....if the dog hadn't killed three earlier I probably would be fine right now.

3. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    good night I'm going soon too

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Overrun With Chickens

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Good night

5. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Short answer, yes... they will be more receptive to they boys usually right before they start laying, at least with all the ones I've seen... but also, drakes seem to lose their brains when they can reach new ducks... best to wait til the teeny boppers are mature... and I would put the older duck with them first, then add the drakes... imo...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  6. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Okay...thanks...that's kinda the slow approach I've been taking....take care ...talk later.... Phil

7. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I want to see the results as well!

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

I just discussed them with a friend, she's really good with genetics... said he *should be* carrying 1 silver and 1 gold gene, so chicks *should be* 50/50 Silver and Gold Duckwing...

9. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Good night to you all! EYS!!!
    Good to have you back Sally!!
    You should come to visit here! It is cold at night but sunny during the day, the see is wonderful
    Calm,blue good to fish!
    I saw that the ape trend is become a real issue here!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  10. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch Premium Member

Sorry for commenting on this so long after the fact, but I went to bed early last night, wiped out, and I'm playing catchup, AGAIN.

Regarding the "4 hour" thing, believe me when I tell you that if that ever happened to me, the LAST person I'd call would be the doctor; I'd go through my old "little black book" cover to cover before I did anything [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by