French frogs

Bert, that sounds so fun! 600 gallons worth of two tanks, boy! I want to raise fish for eatn one day; its not hard for an aquarist. Was this in TX or elsewhere? I worry about the heat
hmm.png
these weren't indoor tanks.....

shopping

there were two.......one for the livestock, and one for our bait.

No kidding?! Do u play in salt or fresh?? What kinda of fish do you like? I
love.gif
to hear about anyones tanks, and i had no Idea about you!

Fresh. Always wanted to try the saltwater because of the pretty fish you can get, but I'm too lazy for that! I had bala sharks, angel fish, just basic stuff. One of my bala's was about 6 years old when I gave it away when we moved.

these weren't indoor tanks.....

shopping

there were two.......one for the livestock, and one for our bait.

I got you, i know 300 gallons of glass isnt what people raise edible fish in. I dont want to need a chiller, they cost too much for my ways... I would however like a whole non-duck pond (complimenting the Duck one, of course!) to raise fish in. Maybe a
Few acres plumbed for flooding for raising crawfish... Ive always been a sucker for seafood.

And i wanted to comment toward Ruby agreeing with what what WV and Rav said: my ducks arent very friendly, they tollerate me in the vicinity, and only approch if i have the yellow bucket... I did not hatch them, but Rav puts all the work in that you did with those Peas.

Ok, so several had internally pipped the night before, but only the one made an external pip... after sitting overnight without external pip, I made safe holes for the rest, you can tell when they need it cuz thry tap like crazy on the shell... left them for the entire day with just safe holes for air... then late last night, early morning I start enlarging the safe hole... if they peep, I continue to open up the air cell, leaving the inner membrane intact... veins still visible, so use qtips and vaseline to keep it moist, make sure bill is clear for breathing and return to the bator til they are ready to finish... I never take them out of the shell or inner membrane... when they are ready, they will come out, plus that struggle is good for them to strengthen up their legs and pull in the blood from the veins... I did lose 2 that internally pipped with too much liquid still in the egg, unfortunately, but have a half doz still sitting nicely finishing their absorbing...

It is a long, tedious job in assisting Calls, but the key is in the stages and knowing when and how far to go each step... it's a learning process for sure, but if you don't start soon enough, they suffocate and to soon they really aren't ready...

I got you, i know 300 gallons of glass isnt what people raise edible fish in. I dont want to need a chiller, they cost too much for my ways... I would however like a whole non-duck pond (complimenting the Duck one, of course!) to raise fish in. Maybe a
Few acres plumbed for flooding for raising crawfish... Ive always been a sucker for seafood.

And i wanted to comment toward Ruby agreeing with what what WV and Rav said: my ducks arent very friendly, they tollerate me in the vicinity, and only approch if i have the yellow bucket... I did not hatch them, but Rav puts all the work in that you did with those Peas.

Not all my ducks are super friendly either... the adult flock of 10 Calls I bought this Fall are a bit standoffish... they will now come up to me at feeding and pool change time, but for the most part they do their own thing... it's only the ones I hatched and raised by hand that are super social...

I don't mind the others and give them their space... I let them approach when they want and only pick them up when I need to... they've warmed up a lot since I got them... :)

Ok, so several had internally pipped the night before, but only the one made an external pip... after sitting overnight without external pip, I made safe holes for the rest, you can tell when they need it cuz thry tap like crazy on the shell... left them for the entire day with just safe holes for air... then late last night, early morning I start enlarging the safe hole... if they peep, I continue to open up the air cell, leaving the inner membrane intact... veins still visible, so use qtips and vaseline to keep it moist, make sure bill is clear for breathing and return to the bator til they are ready to finish... I never take them out of the shell or inner membrane... when they are ready, they will come out, plus that struggle is good for them to strengthen up their legs and pull in the blood from the veins... I did lose 2 that internally pipped with too much liquid still in the egg, unfortunately, but have a half doz still sitting nicely finishing their absorbing...

It is a long, tedious job in assisting Calls, but the key is in the stages and knowing when and how far to go each step... it's a learning process for sure, but if you don't start soon enough, they suffocate and to soon they really aren't ready...

Wow! Sorry about the ones that you lost, but
fl.gif
for the remaining. Do Calls get broody? Do momma calls have any better success?

I candled that really full one of mine again last night. Its still moving, but I don't know how it has any room in there, and I expect it will either hatch early, or suffocate. Gonna check it again when I get home in a couple of hours.
And I may have figured out part of my issue. The vent on top got partially closed, I guess I hit it. So I messed up the ventilation..
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom