French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Will do, thanks, Turk!! :hugs

:frow G'Night and sleep well...

2. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil Flock Master

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    How far has it gotten?

3. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Both wings?

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Diet is same as all my others, Purina Flock Raiser... and breeder I got my flock from used the same and never had issues...

Io is from unknown stock and I have noticed is growing a LOT faster than the rest of my ducklings... I dunno if it's genetics that's causing Io to grow faster and eat more or if Io is eating more to grow faster...

5. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Just the left wing... and this is tonight when we just noticed it...

[​IMG]

And after taking pics tonight I noticed this in a pic I took last night...

[​IMG]

So it developed in the last 24hrs...

6. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I would go to that thread...take a good look..my duck had more apparent symptoms...her wings stuck out like a sore thumb.....I changed to flock raiser...from a higher protein food....the twisting stopped....she almost looks normal now....my duck wouldn't stay wrapped.....so I gave up.
    Good luck ....Phil

1 person likes this.
  7. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    This may or may not be the case with Io, but I've had turkey poults outgrow their own wings at times, or the wings outgrow the bodies.

With turkeys, especially fast growing ones, the primaries often come in early and fold on the outside of the wing rather than in the inside. While it looks odd, if you open the wings the segments and joints look normal and symmetrical. Angel wing seems to be more of a shoulder issue, the entire wing doesn't seem to connect quite right and has some rotation.

The growth related issue should self-correct, I've never done anything for it other than to encourage use of the wings, and occasionally folding the wing with the primaries underneath until the coverts grow in to guide them. I have seen angel wing, but not in my flock, so I can't comment on the method or likelihood of treatment success. Good luck!

8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks, Phil... :)

9. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    The theory a lot of people seem to go with is that it's a diet thing because it doesn't appear to happen in wild ducks....but no one really knows what causes it....at least everything I read seen to say.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  10. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Thanks, Walnut... I'm gonna go over it better in the morn, noticed it really late tonight, lol... and I do want to make sure it is that before I mess with it... I've never had it in mine either, so it's uncharted waters for me, lol...

It does look like Io is growing a lot faster than my flocks ducklings too... and it's just the tip segment of the wing sticking out, I dunno if that's a difference or not... gonna go read up some more...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by