French Wheaton Marans leg pin feather different look!

zoodayz

Hatching
May 25, 2024
French Wheaton Marans leg pin feather different look!

I know they have leg feathers but this roo has large leg pin feathers on his and my others do not the others only have the small leg feathers.

Normal or genetic defect?

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpeg
    IMG_2286.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2285.jpeg
    IMG_2285.jpeg
    700.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2284.jpeg
    IMG_2284.jpeg
    815.3 KB · Views: 11
This may be what is referred to as vulture hocks. It is seen in feathered leg breeds sometimes.

It is not a problem unless you are breeding show birds.

Normal or genetic defect?
Hello and welcome, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

I was also thinking that it could possibly be vulture hocks.. which are acceptable and normal in some breeds like D'uccle but not other like Silkie making it a DQ for showing or breeding to the standard at all, not just for show.. keeping it would mean pet or back yard quality.

I'm not sure of the SOP for Marans.. but currently guessing it's not likely a desirable trait.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

I was also thinking that it would probably be vulture hocks.. which are acceptable and normal in some breeds like D'uccle but not other like Silkie making it a DQ for showing or breeding to the standard at all, not just for show.. keeping it would mean pet or back yard quality.

I'm not sure of the SOP for Marans.. but currently guessing it's not likely a desirable trait.
Thank you it’s interesting how we can all learn something new if we take the time to learn. Thank you for the help.

Back
Top Bottom