frequency??

mirandamommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Central California
I got my first egg 3 days ago. A small green one. I haven't gotten anything since that. Is that typical? I was hoping that everyone else would learn from her... They are about 5 months old.

Well, they can't "learn" to lay an egg any more than you could have learned to ovulate before your body was ready. They will when it is their time.
smile.png
Congrats on the first egg!!!

true... is that typical for them to lay an egg and then skip several days? does it take awhile for them to get in a pattern?

also, i've been checking throughout the day for eggs. do you think that bothers them or if they need to lay they will lay? how often do you check? i don't want to interupt them...if you can do that

Last edited:
I am sure all chickens are different, but mine don't mind being "bothered" at all. In fact, I have taken pics of my EE, Miranda, as she laid an egg.
smile.png
That was cool. I know there was someone on here who said he has caught one as it was dropping.
smile.png
I think most of them are fine with it as long as they are comfortable with you, anyway. But yes, their bodies have to get ready to lay and sometimes they start right up and lay every day and sometimes they don't. Just like anything else, they are each different and their bodies will work different. I am sure she is fine. Did you get pics of your first egg? I blew out a bunch of my first ones and have them in a basket in my kitchen.
smile.png
I was a very proud chickie momma!!! LOL

yes, we blew it out and will be keeping it. i mixed it into store bought eggs this morning and the difference was so apparent! can't wait to walk right past the eggs at the commisary (grocery store)!

Quote:
Ohhhh yes, it is a wonderful feeling to know you never have to buy store eggs!!!! Sorry, I didn't say
welcome-byc.gif
!!!!!!

Ah, I have plenty of experience with the commisary.....Air Force wife, here.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom