Frequently sneezing chick, looks healthy...

5GodsDown

Songster
Apr 1, 2019
Belgium
Hi guys

I have 3 chicks and one has been sneezing very frequently the last 2-3 days. Other than sneezing she looks as healthy as the other ones, she's very active and eats and drinks well. There's no moisture near the nose, she just sneezed right next to the heat plate and I didn't see anything watery. They're about 2 weeks old and they've been outside for a bit yesterday and today as we've had some exceptionally warm days. They seemed to be fine, even a bit hot at some moment and they were fluttering around happily.

They eat the usual chick feed and I give them a bit of river sand every day, because the grit from the local store is still too big. I tried to feed them a scrambled egg, but none of them are interested in it.

Should I give them some vitamines? The chicks look very healthy, but I'm worried as that one chick has been sneezing for a while now...

Has the chick been rubbing its head against the ground or “picking” its nostril with its foot? My RIR chick had a weird phase where she would frequently dump her head into water or feed and get her nose clogged. It’s been wearing off as she ages, but still goofy to watch.

As long as your chick seeks to be eating/drinking/pooping and is generally healthy looking you should be fine, I think. I’ve heard of dust buildups making chicks sneeze, though, so maybe you might want to clean up a bit?

Good luck with your chick!

Has the chick been rubbing its head against the ground or “picking” its nostril with its foot? My RIR chick had a weird phase where she would frequently dump her head into water or feed and get her nose clogged. It’s been wearing off as she ages, but still goofy to watch.

As long as your chick seeks to be eating/drinking/pooping and is generally healthy looking you should be fine, I think. I’ve heard of dust buildups making chicks sneeze, though, so maybe you might want to clean up a bit?

Good luck with your chick!

Thanks

Yes, it has been doing that actually, but I wouldn't know why. The only thing I can think of is that they are greedy eaters and maybe there some gets into her nose...

I cleaned and scrubbed their brooder just yesterday and the others are fine :hmm

Thanks

Yes, it has been doing that actually, but I wouldn't know why. The only thing I can think of is that they are greedy eaters and maybe there some gets into her nose...

I cleaned and scrubbed their brooder just yesterday and the others are fine :hmm
I would bet they just have a little piece of feed in their nose and it’s really nothing to worry about. If you do want to help the chick, I’ve heard of people using some warm water and a toothpick to moisten and clean on older chickens, although I’m not sure how that would go on a tiny chick nostril. It sounds like the chick is doing just fine getting it out themselves, though. Just give it time :)

Back
Top Bottom