Fresh eggs how long do they last in fridge??

Dear husband
gig.gif

When we are worried about egg freshness my kids and I have egg tossing fun.....We tap them on the deck rail(to crack the shell), and throw them at the chicken pen. We have done as many as 90 eggs at one sesion. It was good to hear we can go for up to 6 months, that means this winter we can stock before the girls quit layin and still not need to go buy those things in the store.

Edit: also what about checking the egg with the float test? If it floats it gets tossed.

Last edited:
I got my first chickens abt. 2 months ago. And my daughter was trying to tell me that fresh eggs are going to taste different than store bought eggs and are going to be harder to peel. Can anyone help explain why?

I read the same thing before my chickens started laying. Honestly, I don't taste a huge difference if they are
fried. But over easy or scrambled and they just taste deliciously better. The yolk is richer in color and taste.
I have also noticed that The shell is thicker on cracking. The best part for me is knowing that I'm feeding myself
and my family eggs that are fresh and not full of whatever the egg industry injects into their chickens and washes
their eggs with. It's funny but I'm finding myself not wanting to mask the eggs with any seasoning or other stuff
I would normally add to make eggs taste better. So I guess they do taste better after all - you'll have to find out
for yourself
big_smile.png
. Enjoy the process.

Thank you kacklinkelly, I am very excited to get my first eggs and be able to eat them! How do we make it so that we can peel the fresh hard boiled eggs easier?

Thank you kacklinkelly, I am very excited to get my first eggs and be able to eat them! How do we make it so that we can peel the fresh hard boiled eggs easier?
Boil eggs for 9 minutes, take off burner let sit in water for 5 minutes, then empty warm water and replace with ice cubes and cold water and let eggs sit in the ice water for 5 minutes, after that peel immediately! :) They won't peel the same if you wait a while, for example you can't put them in the fridge and peel them easily as you want to eat them if they've been in the fridge overnight or for a couple days.

So to sum it up:
1-Boil 9 minutes
2-Let sit 5 min
3-Ice water 5 min
4-PEEL

Back
Top Bottom