Fresh, used Coop litter/shavings straight into garden???

Quote:
Weeds? What are these weeds of which you speak?

Seriously, proper techniques minimize weeds. Those that grow, I do indeed hoe/pull.
As for the size, I have another two beds of that same size.
smile.png

Last edited:
When I have it to spare I've put coop litter and/or brooder bedding straight into my garden. Turn it under and plant a month later. Grew a fine crop of sweet potatoes that last time.

The pine shavings are probably more of an issue than the poo. Shavings consume nitrogen and oxygen while they compost, and they can take a LONG time to compost - like 12-18 months. That's a lot of good stuff they are robbing from the garden. If you have just a bit, not a problem. But if you have a lot, dump it and let it rot for a year before adding to the garden.

My horse manure I age for six months before I put it into the garden.

Hens love to be in the manure pile, and in the garden beds. Here they are examining whether the new asparagus ferns are worth a nibble - they completely ignored the peppers!

Ethel_01_1101210.jpg

I've been wondering the very same thing!
All I do is just rake it all out of the coop right in front a few inches past the human door's reach. The chickens love to scratch in it when the human door is open for free ranging. If you also have scratch mixed in[I add a cup full into the coop for days the chickens are stuck inside or the weather is real crappy and they won't go out] then it will sprout once it's warm enough.
I know that because I added some to my brooder indoors, some were in the chick waterer and when I dumped it all out and left it for a bit, it sprouted a week later!!
Anyway..Guess I will be leaving that pile until late in the year or until next year before it's 'cool' for the garden...
Glad you asked that question!!

Chicken manure is very "hot" compared to other manures. You risk burning your plants if you apply too much fresh chicken manure. I would let it compost for several months so that there is less nitrogen. Keep in mind that the drier the manure, the higher the nitrogen content. As a previous poster stated, you want to go easy on the wood shavings in the garden; they consume a lot of nitrogen as they decompose. Even so, the decomposition process takes a long time with wood shavings. If you let it sit it a compost pile for a year or so, then it is a great idea. Also keep in mind the nitrogen requirement for the plants that you are growing. Beans love nitrogen (and actually fixate their own in the soil!), but garlic or onions growing in overly nitrogen-rich soil will put all their energy into the green shoots at the top and less into the bulb. That being said, composted chicken manure will result in better soil for the vast majority of plants.

Fred's Hens :

Farmers have been spreading manure onto their fields, in winter, since time began. This is the nature of organic farming versus the use of chemical fertilizers. Dairymen cannot normally hold their manure for a year to age it.

Yes, chicken poop is hot, but 90-120 days of curing, dissolving, breaking down in snow/rain, and tilled into the soil neutralizes it quite well. Of course, one can compost it, if one wishes.

Most organic farming guidelines, established by major Agricultural Universities such as Nebraska, Mich. State, etc all publish guidelines which call for a cessation of manure applications within 90-100 days of planting.

Very nice garden!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom