Freshly butchered turkey

Kylacat

Songster
Jul 3, 2015
VT
So this is our first time raising turkeys. My husband butchered one this afternoon for our supper tomorrow night. I have been reading about rigor and that the meat will be horrible and tough. We have family coming tomorrow for a turkey feast, what should we do? Has anyone ever roasted a fresh turkey without waiting 3-4 days? Thanks

Skipper7410

Songster
Jun 21, 2019
Provo, Utah
Generally you should chill it for like 3 days to get passed the rigor, but I have cooked lots of wild birds the day after the kill by using a good brine and cooking slow (usually smoked haha)

Kylacat

Songster
Jul 3, 2015
VT
Generally you should chill it for like 3 days to get passed the rigor, but I have cooked lots of wild birds the day after the kill by using a good brine and cooking slow (usually smoked haha)

At this point I think I may have to throw in the towel and cook ribs tomorrow instead. I don’t think I have time to brine and slow cook it and have it on the table for 2 tomorrow afternoon. I don’t want to serve everybody shoe leather or waste an animal we have been raising since April. Thanks for the input though.

Top Bottom