Fretting over pre-sexed Rouen Ducklings

misfitsailor

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 11, 2015
5 weeks ago we drove down to Metzer Farm to pick up 2 Cayuga and 3 Rouen day-old ducklings. We paid the extra to make sure we got one Rouen drake and the balance all hens. I realize it's early, but I am worried that all of our Rouens are hens. They are changing color, but they all the Rouens still look identical. They all have an unbroken black stripe down the back of their necks, no sign of a light band on any of them. I think I read somewhere that it can take month's to know for sure. It's also too soon to judge them by their quacks, as their voices are still changing. I have no experience with Rouens, our last ducks were Cayugas and a Welsh Harlequin. I am really looking forward to having a handsome Rouen drake, and look anxiously for signs that we actually have one.

You're probably fine :) Sexing ducklings is not like sexing chicks, they are much easier to sex. Drakes have a very obvious penis and it would be impossible to mistake a female for a drake. The only way you would have gotten a female is if somebody accidentally tossed one into the drake bin.

5 weeks ago we drove down to Metzer Farm to pick up 2 Cayuga and 3 Rouen day-old ducklings. We paid the extra to make sure we got one Rouen drake and the balance all hens. I realize it's early, but I am worried that all of our Rouens are hens. They are changing color, but they all the Rouens still look identical. They all have an unbroken black stripe down the back of their necks, no sign of a light band on any of them. I think I read somewhere that it can take month's to know for sure. It's also too soon to judge them by their quacks, as their voices are still changing. I have no experience with Rouens, our last ducks were Cayugas and a Welsh Harlequin. I am really looking forward to having a handsome Rouen drake, and look anxiously for signs that we actually have one.
The rouens will continue to look alike for a few more weeks, until the drake starts molting again (my mallards usually started around 10-12 weeks, I think). One earlier visual sign is that his bill will start to turn yellow while the others will stay orange (as early as 8 weeks, I think). Your girls should be starting to quack soon, if not already intermittently. The male will likely keep peeping for a while, and his voice change is less noticeable, in my opinion.
The males will also molt each year into the same coloring they have now, and pretty much the only visual difference between the genders will again be the bill color, at least for those few months.

I completely understand and sympathize. Even at 6 months I was still having fits of anxiety over my presexed hens.
1f600.png

Great news! The Rouen drake has revealed himself. His head is turning a pretty iridescent green! I first saw it yesterday when the sun finally came out.

Back
Top Bottom