Friend has a bird with little bubbles in it's eye.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Attack Chicken, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My friend has a chicken (bantam) and she appears to have a little bubbles in the front corner of her left eye. The bird seems ok walking around and scratching and stuff. She said she just noticed it after the storm that came through here so could something of got in her eye? If not what else could it be? Someone please help!

2. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone??

3. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] I hope it goes better for your friend than it did for me.

We had a hen who did the same thing. We put her back on chick starter, added VetRx to her water, cleaned her eyes daily.... sadly, she did not make it. [​IMG] RIP Poppy

I am so sorry and really hope your story ends differently.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey Kelley, please do a search, I have heard that this could be disease. Call me if you need to!

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Could be upper resp infection. She needs to put her on antibotics. I have a little roo that has a sinus infection took him to the vet today first thing she asked was had he had any eye bubbles. No just runny nose and swollen on one side of his face. She checked his lungs all clear I told her I started him on Duramyacin as soon as i noticed him sneezing she said to keep him on it for 2 weeks.

6. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

You'd be surprised what can cause it. I looked at my chicken today and she did that, but I looked real close and noticed a piece of hay stuck in her eye. I had my brother hold her and I tugged the piece out gently, it was stuck to her eyelid so she had no chance of getting it out herself. The bubbling cleared up awhile after that. [​IMG]

7. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    She wasn't sneezing or anything just had the little bit of bubbles in the corner of her eye. I hope it isn't disease ..... I'll have a look at her tomorrow right now they have her in the house...

8. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    my guess is Mycoplasma gallisepticum. foam coming out of sinus. often accompanied by other illness. here is link to show you list of antibiotics/sulfa drugs: Mycoplasma gallisepticum

a nfs puffer might work or erythromycin or tetracylcine. it is on the list and you'll have to find what your feed store carries.

should be easy to diagnose and treat.

probably be a carrier for life. or i think i heard that.

like i have said in other posts. act quick if it goes off by itself, leaving its friends

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Have her go to the feed store and buy some terramycin eye ointment and follow the directions. Make sure its for eyes.

10. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    MG is upper respiratory. it creates the foamy exudate in eyes.

treatment: Outbreaks of MG can be controlled with the use of antibiotics. Erythromycin, tylosin, spectinomycin, and lincomycin all exhibit anti-mycoplasma activity and have given good results. Administration of most of these antibiotics can be by feed, water or injection. These are effective in reducing clinical disease. However, birds remain carriers for life.

the foam is probably coming from sinus duct. you need the antibiotic to go systemically through the body or airsacculitis will develop. watch for a caseous buildup in the eye. it is called "cheese." nasty yellowish stuff made of white blood cells i think.

our vet gave us eye ointment as well but you need to make sure the drug circulates throughout the body (oral dosing).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by