Friend wants indoor ducks - WHat breed would you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, I'll keep ducks in the house when I see them building their own houses outside! I have raised 7 ducklings inside- and couldn't wait for them to go outside! Neither could they, judging by their antics when they finally went out. They devoured my herb garden first, we jokingly called them "pre-stuffed"!

Not raining on the parade, just being realistic. They are outdoor animals, after all.

And just in case.... I think Pekins are sweet as sugar and easiest to train!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It's odd that I never see anyone have a problem with having call ducks in little breeding pens, but talk about spoiling them inside... talk about having that same pen be inside but also lavishing them with attention and suddenly there is something wrong.. hrmmm... odd

Quote:
Hey, who you callin odd?
lau.gif

It really comes down to messy ducks for me! I know they thrive on the attention, but who has time to be changing diapers " every one to one and a half hours"? Baby people I can see, they don't do well outside. And I don't think a tiny pen is appropriate for ducks either; reason #1 I don't have ducks anymore, not enough safe space for them.
sad.png

Ewww. Wrong there Ranch Hand. I dont like babies ( No offense people ) But I really dont see myself having kids . My animals will be my kids. I usually leave the room if there is a baby in it.

Thank you Rainplace. My ducks have 5 acres to forage from and considering there is only ten adults and ten juveniles Id say that they arent crowded and get to act like ducks. My little bits Get to meet new people, be lavished with care, and play with the dog in a safe, clean environment. I get when yall say that ducks "belong" outside.... but then if yall keep saying that I could easily bring up an argument about how dogs should all be outside pets then because they are dirty animals who love playing in mud and stealing from our garbage can :O That is until someone brought them in and lavished them with care - and BAM! Now almost everyone has inside dogs. It starts with one.

( Oh - and I dont like dogs being outside pets because then they are just yard ornaments instead of family members )

Quote:
Mine are neither inside nor are they in little breeding pens......they have a large run. The day their poo doesn't smell, I'll let them come inside.

It really comes down to messy ducks for me! I know they thrive on the attention, but who has time to be changing diapers " every one to one and a half hours"? Baby people I can see, they don't do well outside ..
sad.png

lau.gif
gig.gif
* Whoo .. hold on ...
gig.gif
.. I cant breath...
lau.gif
ep.gif

Oh my goodness!
lau.gif
,, ahem, sorry bout that, its just if you were to say that over here you would get that reaction. I get in trouble all the time for the amount of laundry my mom has to do due to me being outside and getting muddy , or tearing something. If im at home and you come to visit I have dirt or mud on me somewhere - and yes I bathe! Lol, I just spent ALOT of time outside with my ducks as well as .... well I just love being outside.

You know... I wonder how asking for breed suggestions came sown to this?? Really yall?
lau.gif

Quote:
Mine are neither inside nor are they in little breeding pens......they have a large run. The day their poo doesn't smell, I'll let them come inside.

Please dont take offense , Im sure that rainplace meant it as a general thing since so mnay people on here have woodies and bantam sized ducks in small breeding pens and it semed as if the subject of ducks being indoors and given plenty of space was being attacked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
It came down to this because you asked what breeds we would suggest for a house duck......and I said I wouldn't suggest any breed for a house duck.

I have crippled duck, Miss Matilda, who I intended to have indoors as she can't walk, she just scoots. She had a diaper, but she is a pekin if you know what I mean poop-wise.

The day she explodo-butted down the heater vent was the day we put up a nice shed for her with a fan, a heat lamp and thick straw.

Oh yeah, lol

Well my guys dont care either way, indoor or outdoor they are happy and thats all that matters
love.gif
And really, I thought the poo was going to be a problem - but its not. the only issues ive had since bringing them in the house is once they stepped on my bunny and then Goon playing around on the couch. The only time I even worry about poo is when they are in the bathroom drying off. but the floor is tiled and gets wiped down with clorox wipes afterward so its no biggie.

732ewz.jpg

2aes1l.jpg

10e3441.jpg

2i9jc68.jpg

I guess if you have the time and patience then you can do just about anything with your animals. I know if I had tried this last year when I had all my major exams it would have been a little hectic seeing as I would have to sit in the bathroom with them while they dried off near the heater, then .... well they would have been fine. They can occupy themselves, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom