Friend wants indoor ducks - WHat breed would you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you said 'not call ducks' I thought, 'Whut wrong with call ducks, they beyoootiful.' Buttttt they ARE clingy and they totally get underfoot. She would be lucky if she didn't stand on them. When I'm cleanin out my duck hut they love to cosy right into my feet and there has been a couple of really close calls (close calls
lau.gif
) where I just managed to miss them. One time I walked out the back door and only saw them last minute right under the step.
My husband won't let them in the house, he made that rule firm and I don't wanna screw about with them bein all warm in the house and then havin to sleep out at night in the cold BUT, oh boy do I miss them when they in bed. I would really like to hang out with them in the evenin. I sit there with my poor husband watchin tv and every twenty mins I'm sayin, 'What do you think Doogie's doing right now?'
Lol, and my husband goes, 'Not bein half the pest YOU are!'

Couple of close calls:
gig.gif

41074_p1300324.jpg

Quote:
Mine are neither inside nor are they in little breeding pens......they have a large run. The day their poo doesn't smell, I'll let them come inside.

Please dont take offense , Im sure that rainplace meant it as a general thing since so mnay people on here have woodies and bantam sized ducks in small breeding pens and it semed as if the subject of ducks being indoors and given plenty of space was being attacked.

Yes, that was what I was saying.

Indoor ducks aren't for everyone. Just like dogs aren't for everyone, or anything else for that matter. For someone to insist that a duck cannot be happy inside because they aren't meant to be inside, just doesn't sit well with me. The few people here at byc that have indoor ducks seem to spoil their duckies a great deal. They deal with the poop, and smell, and all the other needs of their pets. Unless someone has gone to these people's houses and seen their ducks, I think it's silly to think you know what the emotional well being of these ducks are.

Right now I have two ducklings inside the house, and I am going to see if I am one of those people that can make a good life for ducks inside. I don't know if I am. If it doesn't work out, then I will release them into the yard with the rest of the flock little by little. But only I will know if I'm doing it correctly or not.

Back to the original topic. I still think runners would make the best indoor ducks. They are tall enough to not get underfoot. They have great comic value, come in great colors, don't fly, and I LOVE RUNNERS.

I think it's great that you all are doing a trial run. Extremely responsible. You're an awesome person, Goat_Walker.

AWW! Thank you so much rainplace
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
!!

I wanted Carrie ( the girl wanting indoor ducks ) to be able to have the oportunity to care for indoor ducks without having the problem of rehoming them if it doesnt work out. This way she can know for sure if she can handle the responsibility that these little guys need.

Bet she loves it. I even love cleanin out the duck hut and cleanin out their paddlin pool. Takes me two and a half hours to empty and scrub their pool but I love doin it for my little peeples. They are jus worth it!

Quote:
it takes me about 45 minutes to dump, scrub and fill my three pools and 4 buckets. But its worht it when they see that clean water and go at it!
love.gif

I've had my indoor ducks for about a year and a half now. they've never lived outside, not even for one night... I'll admit it's a lot of work to keep smells down... but we do a pretty good job. no one ever complains...

I give my ducks their own room, that houses their pen and all their stuff. They have a play pen in my front room for when i diaper them. I take them out for walks when the weather's not so bad. They love it. If i put them outside, they'd be soooooo mad at me. It's all in how you raise them from the beginning. I would never recommend an outdoor duck become and indoor duck and vise versa. You have to raise them up from being day olds to get them accustomed to one way of life or the other...

I have two muscovies, a duck (Charlotte) and drake (chester) who have recently had duckies (yay)!!
I hand raised them to adults and it was a lot of fun. They still follow me around, have stopped sleeping on my lap lol, I put them in the trailer of the ride on mower to take them down to the dam, and they now live in their own special wood coop and pen out at the block with six other chickens. When I took them out at the block it was really sad not seeing them in my backyard little pen where they used to be, even if they are only ten minutes away lol.

Even my drake lets me pick him up, cuddle him, kiss him, ect and they both have bonded with me even though they have each other. When I first saw nettie and the harnesses I was so excited that some ones making all that stuff!! I think its a great idea because the reason my scovies aren't inside (well haven't been since they were ducklings lol) is because of the mess. I think go for the inside duck idea because ducks are intelliget, fun, loving, and have lots of personality and make great pets. So I'd definetly consider a scovie inside duck for your friend
woot.gif

I have a scovie drake who comes inside a few times a week. She isnt a fan of the carnucles though, lol. Its an acquired taste.

I think your trial and everything is great
smile.png
ducks minus the mess and/or smell makes perfect pets.

Plus ducks really aren't any different to your average pets mess-wise. with dogs you have hair, poo mess, and same with small birds, and cats (smell, hair). I know people who have cats which have never EVER been outside before but are perfectly happy, just scared when the door is opened lol. So if you think ducks can't be happy inside because of space then why are dogs and cats?

Also ducks get just as cuddly and cute as the other fluffy animals
tongue.png

Oh and by the way Goat_Walker, does nettie make duckling harness diapers aswell? or did you make them yourself?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom