Friendliest Hard Feather or Light Breeds for Backyard

Luffpuff

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2017
Fresno, CA
Hi Folks!

I started out my first flock with big fluffy chickens I figured would be less able to hop my backyard fence (Wyandottes and EasterEggers) but recently took a chance with some Seabrights who are really good flyers (one got scared the other day and shot up onto the roof). So far, even though they fly well, they have stayed in my yard... and they are much more efficient in terms of food to eggs.

So my question is this... I want to try some smaller breeds. What are your suggestions of light breeds or hard feathers that have a pretty good feed conversion ratio for laying that, like my little Seabrights, will be inclined to be personable and stay in a yard with six foot fences all around?

Thanks!

I would suggest RIR, but they are a heavy bird. Great egg layers, and never leave the yard. My RIRs greet me at the back or front door and are very friendly with myself, kids, and dogs.

My favs are Marans, nice large dark egg, also very good taste to egg. Friendly and have not been flighty IMHO. They come in a few different colors as well.

Back
Top Bottom