Friendliest Pigeon Breeds?

langshanlover14

Chirping
Jun 30, 2022
I am considering getting pigeons in the further future, and I was wondering about some of the friendlier pigeon breeds for beginners. What do you guys reccomend?

There are many suitable breeds. Arabian Trumpeter, chinese owls, I have good experience with them. Or Kelebek that are very intelligent and can fall from the sky on command, similar to dolapci. They also learn other tricks quickly - they are fun and easy to handle. Valencian Figurita are a small breed and also easy to tame - Figurita remind me of ringneck doves and could be suitable for children as they are calm.

Most pigeons will be friendly if you handle them a lot while they’re young. For instance, feral pigeons, which are very hard to tame as adults, are extremely friendly if raised by people. So much so that imprinted feral pigeons often end up needing homes because they can’t be released back into the wild.

Nevertheless, there are breeds that are generally more shy and then breeds that, even without imprinting, are friendly and contactable (see above). With imprinting, the pigeon becomes more of a pet. I had an orphaned male homing pigeon years ago and he only flew to me all his life, he didn't want to fly with other pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom