Cassandra Lana

Songster
Feb 8, 2021
Hi poultry people I was woundering if anyone knows of any friendly ways to put a little fat on my birds (Chickens and Ducks) . They a little too skinny for my preference . They have a feeder and water and get treats daily ♥️. Any tips appreciated ~Cassie

Note: I don’t feel comfortable feeding bread cause it can be bad for crops

Hi poultry people I was woundering if anyone knows of any friendly ways to put a little fat on my birds (Chickens and Ducks) . They a little too skinny for my preference . They have a feeder and water and get treats daily ♥️. Any tips appreciated ~Cassie

Note: I don’t feel comfortable feeding bread cause it can be bad for crops
Why do you feel they are too skinny? Laying hens are healthier if they are at a good weight and they should not be fat. What breeds do you have and what do they weigh?

Why do you feel they are too skinny? Laying hens are healthier if they are at a good weight and they should not be fat. What breeds do you have and what do they weigh?
I agree with DobieLover. Why do you think they are too skinny? As long as they get a balanced diet and occasional treats, they should be fine. If you feed too many treats then they wont eat their proper diet. Much like humans do 😉😉
They feel very thin thru their feathers. Especially the less fluffy breeds(red sex link ,Americana, New Hampshire red). I think a little fat could help keep them warm too. They are just gonna burn it off as soon as it warms up cause they are very active if it’s over 45 degrees. I haven’t weighed them but I can when I get home. I am not very worried about the ducks they are not very boney.

Where in the world are you located?

If it has been below -10F with a combination of short daylight, they can get too skinny.

In such cases I feed mine more protein and more fat. So, freezer burnt salmon, grease from cooking poured over some pellets. (And like humans, olive oil is better for them than bacon fat, but a little bacon fat in a super cold winter is fine).

Also .... a minimum of 10 hours of light bright enough to eat by, is helpful.

Where in the world are you located?

If it has been below -10F with a combination of short daylight, they can get too skinny.

In such cases I feed mine more protein and more fat. So, freezer burnt salmon, grease from cooking poured over some pellets. (And like humans, olive oil is better for them than bacon fat, but a little bacon fat in a super cold winter is fine).

Also .... a minimum of 10 hours of light bright enough to eat by, is helpful.
I’m in Vermont. It’s been below freezing sense December and we had a month of below 0 nights. It looks like it may start warming up so I was gonna turn their light of but would still like to put a little weight on the chickens . I can do suet cakes 👍 have done a few in the past. Will look into getting salmon . Thank you so much ~ Cassie

Back
Top Bottom