Friendly pheasants?

Quote:
Have to agree that they won't chase you and most likely would fly away. Virtually all pheasants are naturally skittish and none will go in attack mode like a rooster would. They can become semi-tame, but the key word is semi. They really never want to be your friends but will tolerate people given enough contact and treats. Also I don't think many people keep their pheasants in uncovered pens and runs due to the flight risk so they are usually confined species.

It is hard to bond with a pheasant, I'm not saying it's impossible. But if you are not a patient person I wouldn't recommend raising these birds as pets. Handle them as babies but not to much so you don't stress them out. Always go in baby steps try letting them feed out of your hands first after a while try to pick one up (don't chase them around the cage unless you have to.) As for breeds go I have only had one breed but I'm sure these tips make a friendly bird in any breed.

Pheasant Lover,
junttirn

as for a species by species list, we;; that would take a while, there are 16 subspecies groups and 50ish some odd individual species and tons of mutations.
So go here for individual care and habitate requirements.

http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/

It has a lot of info from native stuff to aviculture info for keeping them.

Many species you dont even need to mess with til you get a few years of pheasant keeping under your belt though. You can easily tell which ones those are off the website.
There are quite a few who would just as soon spur your face off than look at you too, reeves, all the firebacks, some of the silvers, and a few more are just naturally means as can be.
Some dont need to be housed with hens except just for breeding season as they will scalp and kill their mates other times of the year.

All need heavy cover in the pens. They be miserable in bare open pens and often die from stress as a result. Some like the cold, some will die in it, some like it hot as can be, some will die in it, so know the climate needs too. Most are fine in the winter though, the common exceptions would be peacock pheasants and firebacks, there are a few other tropical ones too but they are so rare it's not worth mentioning.
The more common stuff (the cheap ones) virtually anyone can keep who has a little base understanding of poultry. Goldens, amherst, silvers, kaliji, reeves and some of the longtails are pretty easy.
But do some reading on them before you get any. And never let any out, as has been mentioned, you'll never see most any of them again if you do.

They are beautiful and fun to keep, but can be very demanding on many species, so just know what you are getting into before you buy, and always have pens ready for them BEFORE you order some. Nothing worse than impulse buys with no where to properly keep them.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm still interested, an why make another thread?

Okay, so I've heard some great things, not just from here but from other websites, that Goldens, Silvers, and Temminck's Tragopans are good choices. Interestingly enough, I've been told that Quail don't make friendly pets that I can snuggle and handle, but I raised one and he was awesome. Until puberty struck. So, I am pretty confident now that I will successfully tame them.
lol.png

The bird(s) will be raised from chicks, with lots of love and hand-feeding. I'm still deciding on how many to get, and how I'm going to make their pen. I've seen some awesome examples of pens that I might replicate.

Also, another question; Peafowl are also in the Phasianidae family, Pheasants, how well do they do in captivity and how friendly can they be?

Last edited:
once any of these reach sexual maturity, peafowl included, they just as soon spur you in the face than let you handle them. The species you listed are fairly docile, the temminick's more so that golden and silver. I've never seen many golden that wanted ANYTHING to do with people, silver can at time, but a male will eat you up in breeding season.
These are made for lookin not touchin, plain and simple. For those wanting hand held pets, get a chicken.
Handleing pheasant chicks is a big no no, they dont like it and it will usually stress them to a point of just dying on you. Best to get them, build a nice avairy for them and let them be.

Peafowl are better that pheasants for this, but you arent going to pick up any of them, they'll eat from you hand, but not get in your lap, not That I'd want a 20 pound bird in my lap with 2 inch spurs and claws that'll rip you up any way, LOL

Peafowl are better that pheasants for this, but you arent going to pick up any of them, they'll eat from you hand, but not get in your lap, not That I'd want a 20 pound bird in my lap with 2 inch spurs and claws that'll rip you up any way, LOL

AND I WILL LOVE HIM, AND RUB HIM, AND HUG HIM, AND PET HIM, AND BATHE HIM, AND FEED HIM, AND CALL HIM GEORGE!
tongue.png

WANT A FEATHERED PET? GET A PARAKEET, COCKATIEL, MACAW, OR HECK EVEN A SERAMA... BUT NO SPECES OF PHEASANT IS PET QUAILITY UNLESS YOUR IDEA OF A PET IS FREDDY KRUGER WRAPPED IN A FEATHER BOA. THE ATTRACTION TO PHEASANTS IS EASY TO SEE, THEY ARE AFTERALL BEAUTIFUL AND EXOTIC EACH IN THEIR OWN WAY, AND WHILE SOME ARE MORE TOLERANT OF HUMAN INTERACTION NONE ARE MAN'S BEST FRIEND... THIS IDEA WILL LEAD TO UNSAVORY EXPERIENCES AND RESULTS FOR YOU AND THE ANIMALS YOU CHOOSE. IF YOU'RE CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING THE RULES AND PROVIDING FOR THE PROPER CARE NEEDED, BEING HAPPY TO USE THEM AS EYE CANDY, THEN DO CONTINUE THEY ARE MAGNIFICENT ANIMALS, BUT PETS? SORRY TO SAY NO! MUCH BAD JUJU WAITING HERE.​

No, I do not want a twenty pound bird with two-inch spurs sitting in my lap.
ep.gif

I'm not looking for a bird to cuddle and hug necessarily, I just don't want a bird that will be deathly afraid of me, nor do I want one will hiss and peck whenever I come near. Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:
I'm not looking for a bird to cuddle and hug necessarily, I just don't want a bird that will be deathly afraid of me, nor do I want one will hiss and peck whenever I come near. Thank you all for your input.

UNFORTUNATELY THESE ARE EXACTLY THE MOST PREVALENT BEHAVIORS YOU WILL INCUR WITH MOST PHEASANT SPECES... SOME EVEN WORSE.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom