Friendly quiet layers for hot climates?

HollyDutton

Chirping
Apr 17, 2018
Houston, TX
So I'm researching breeds. Traits we hope to find are good layers, quiet and easy to handle/friendly.

So far I have identified for consideration Orpington, Barred Rock and Australorps. What others? Would the types with feathered feet like Brahmas be ok in Houston (hot for basically 6 months) weather?

I think we'd rule out large breeds and bantams (except maybe bantams of large breeds? Lol) and stick with mid sized birds.

I should also add that until we can determine how are dogs are with them, they should be ok with mostly an enclosed run, with sometimes supervised free-ranging in our yard (which is an urban lot, so not large... which means breeds that can more easily fly would be out :)

I wouldn't go with Brahmas. Aside from everything else, they have peacombs. Combs are how a chicken loses heat, and a peacomb is ideal for PA weather—not so much for TX.

Australorps are great birds, and I love them, but I'm not sure how those huge, black, fluffy bums would do in Texas weather. I'd look into breed with larger combs, such as Delawares and RIRs. Barred Rocks are very adaptable, and I've never had BuffOs.

Have you considered asking people in your state thread?

One thread for the whole state? Yikes, hard to sort through all that!
Then don't. Just read the last few pages and come on with a question. Kikisgirls and others are always happy to answer questions.

As for the RIRs, they're actually a pretty decent breed. There's a crossbreed commonly sold as Rhode Island Reds. They're actually called 'Production Reds' and they are a cross between RIRs and New Hampshires. The roosters of that cross are almost invariably vicious. I like the hens, though. They have personality.

Barred Rocks aren't docile either. I keep coming across lists of them on the internet that say they are. They're lying. BRs get that reputation because they're bold and adventuresome and generally more likely to allow cuddling than, say, a Leghorn. They can be nasty brutes to their flockmates. RIRs are generally pretty similar in temperament to Barred Rocks.

Orpingtons aren't particularly tolerant of heat. And Barred Rocks can be wonderful birds, but they really need their elbow room. They are very active and tend to be dominant in nature. The combination can lead to trouble when kept confined in too small a run with nothing to do. Same goes for Rhode Island Reds, Production Reds, and Wyandottes.
Brahmas aren't a great choice for heat either.
Mottled Javas would be a great choice. They were developed in the tropics, so they can definitely handle the heat and humidity of Texas. Naked Necks are also very heat tolerant. Brown Leghorns and Andalusians, while easily startled, can be very friendly.

So I'm researching breeds. Traits we hope to find are good layers, quiet and easy to handle/friendly.

So far I have identified for consideration Orpington, Barred Rock and Australorps. What others? Would the types with feathered feet like Brahmas be ok in Houston (hot for basically 6 months) weather?

I think we'd rule out large breeds and bantams (except maybe bantams of large breeds? Lol) and stick with mid sized birds.

Hi Holly - I live in Northern New Mexico, which means we have super hot summers (usually breaks 100, sometimes we reach the 110s) but fairly cold winters (this year, hit lows in the 10s-20s). So I can tell you who I have in my small flock who have ALL done well in our climate, followed by a description of their personality:
- Barred rock - extremely friendly, bold, definitely the most dominant in the flock (so she kind of pecks the other girls, but I suppose that’s gotta be somekne’s Job). Super cuddly to the point of being too forward - if I bend over to do something in the chicken yard, she’ll jump onto my shoulder. Will peck/nibble at my clothes to get my attention. I wouldn’t call her docile by any means - but social and not very vocal.
- Delaware - number two in command, similar in personality to my barred rock but much more vocal and loud
- Black sex link - gets along with everyone in the flock, a little shy but settled once she started to lay eggs, usually quiet but when she does dtalk she is LOUD
- Easter Egger - my EEs were really shy and skittish as chicks but settled once they started to lay (but they don’t really enjoy cuddles, though they like perching on my legs). Not too talkative.
- Speckled Sussex - I highly recommend. Super friendly, calm, and very quiet. She’s my favorite!

I have a couple others - a cream Legbar, a Rhodebar - but I didn’t raise them from chicks so they’re a little aloof from me as far as touching goes. Always happy to follow me for some scratch or worms, though, and they’re quiet too.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I thought I would just summarize. I recommend barred rocks, speckled sussex, and easter eggers for you.

Last edited:
I really like barred rocks, but I don't have them in a mixed flock. Friendly, great layers, quiet unless they've just laid an egg or lost track of a flock mate, don't go broody,and do well in my climate. My few have a decently sized run (8X16), but I let them free range daily on my couple of acres which they much prefer over being in the run.

I wouldn't go with Brahmas. Aside from everything else, they have peacombs. Combs are how a chicken loses heat, and a peacomb is ideal for PA weather—not so much for TX.

Australorps are great birds, and I love them, but I'm not sure how those huge, black, fluffy bums would do in Texas weather. I'd look into breed with larger combs, such as Delawares and RIRs. Barred Rocks are very adaptable, and I've never had BuffOs.

Have you considered asking people in your state thread?

I just had to chime in about your Australorp comment. I live in the Arizona desert, and have had the B/B/S Australorp's for 4 years over here. Our summers get very hot over here.

Back
Top Bottom