Friendly rooster breeds

Hello! I am pretty sure that my little chickie that I was hoping was a rooster is a pullet, so I am looking for some options to look into! I’m looking for a friendly breed, one that will be friendly with both me and my hens, to add to my flock! We have been looking into Rhode Island Reds, but I would like to hear what you guys think!
I had a really sweet Barred Rock roo. We never had any issues with him. Very pretty guy.

I would stay away from Rhode Island Reds. While I’ve never had a RIR rooster, I’ve had several very mean hens.

I had a really sweet Barred Rock roo. We never had any issues with him. Very pretty guy.

I would stay away from Rhode Island Reds. While I’ve never had a RIR rooster, I’ve had several very mean hens.
We’ve been looking at barred rocks as well. We have a super sweet barred rock pullet, so I think this breed is a strong contender.

We have a silkie rooster who is really sweet. He gets along with all the hens and is a gentleman really. Silkies are not only cute, they are one of the friendliest of chooks. Not sure if that helps but just pick what you think will suite you the best!

Hello! I am pretty sure that my little chickie that I was hoping was a rooster is a pullet, so I am looking for some options to look into! I’m looking for a friendly breed, one that will be friendly with both me and my hens, to add to my flock! We have been looking into Rhode Island Reds, but I would like to hear what you guys think!
I'll say that in our experience if you're handling the chicks from a young age, hand feeding, letting them become lap chickens etc, roosters can become quite friendly. We had a buff orpington that we raised from an egg that had a great personality. Anytime we walked into the coop or flight cage he wanted to be right there with us. Would seek out neck scratches and loved just sitting next to us and hanging out. I'm a firm believer that it's all in how you raise them. If you're interacting with them on a regular basis chances are they'll be more docile. That's not to say every rooster will be your best friend if you're kind to it, it just means you have a greater chance of friendliness if you're constantly having positive interactions with them. We tend to kind of spoil our chickens so maybe that's why we have pretty good results. We've had lots of different roosters over the years and no breed has been any better than any other for us. That's just our experience, can't speak for everyone else. Each one has had it's own personality. However, I've been told over the years that certain breeds are this way of that way and that's not always accurate. Example, everything we read about white leghorns said they were all flighty. The first batch we raised were indeed flighty and hyper. But when they were in the brooder we were apprehensive about interacting with them because of what we were told and we didn't want to startle them. Then the next batch we completely changed tactics and interacted with them constantly. Guess what? No flightiness or hyperactivity! Docile and friendly all the way into adulthood. Same thing happened with raising quail. Had some that would completely freak out if you just walked past the brooder. Then I raised a batch that I hand fed and interacted with regularly and they grew up sitting in your hand and letting you scratch behind their heads. I think it's safe to assume it's all in how you raise them and how patient you are. Best of luck with your flock, enjoy!

My naked neck cockerel is pretty great..but he’s very large so I would keep that in mind, you wouldn’t want him hurting smaller females.. mine has gotten a tad more graceful, but he’s still clumsy and would’ve easily hurt my smaller breeds if I hadn’t separated them. That said, he is very non-aggressive, lives peacefully with multiple other roosters, tries to give his pullets treats and not territorial to us humans at all, both my silkie and Easter egger males got pretty territorial over the girls and we couldn’t keep them.

All of this to say, it really depends on the bird itself, not the breed, but there are more docile breeds. Don’t forget there are lots of nice cockerels needing homes from people who aren’t allowed to keep them!

My naked neck cockerel is pretty great..but he’s very large so I would keep that in mind, you wouldn’t want him hurting smaller females.. mine has gotten a tad more graceful, but he’s still clumsy and would’ve easily hurt my smaller breeds if I hadn’t separated them. That said, he is very non-aggressive, lives peacefully with multiple other roosters, tries to give his pullets treats and not territorial to us humans at all, both my silkie and Easter egger males got pretty territorial over the girls and we couldn’t keep them.

All of this to say, it really depends on the bird itself, not the breed, but there are more docile breeds. Don’t forget there are lots of nice cockerels needing homes from people who aren’t allowed to keep them!
I have been looking at sales from people who can’t keep roosters! I was just wondering if there is any breeds to be looking out for.

Back
Top Bottom