Friends for my disabled hen- need advice

Faverolles are one of the most docile breeds there are but mine do roost. If they don't have access to a roost they pile. Any chickens will pile without a roost or anything else to get on.

We have silkies also and they would probably do well with her but I would make sure you handle them a lot. Especially if you're not going to raise them.

It's all going to come down to how her temperament meshes with the buddies. I would probably add at least two buddies. You don't want to risk one passing again and she's alone. Also silkies tend to do better in flocks with at least two silkies in the flock.

You know I was originally thinking of bantam cochins! Am a huge fan of all that fluffiness. But then I thought maybe they would prefer to roost, not sleep with Cordelia. What do you think? Also in your experience are they flighty/skittish? Looking for friendly but also calm, cool and collected.

It's funny you mention Faverolles. Her little bestie who I had to recently put to sleep was a Salmon Faverolles named Cosette. I tried my other two SF with them before but they were way too neurotic, unfortunately.

We have silkies also and they would probably do well with her but I would make sure you handle them a lot. Especially if you're not going to raise them.

Okay thanks for the advice! Do silkies get skittish if you don't handle them a lot? What might happen if you don't?

I know it's kind of a crap-shoot. It depends on the individual a lot. Of my 4 black copper marans one was my bossiest, one my most skittish and least friendly, one my most friendly and mellow, and then Cordelia, pretty friendly and mellow but also my most adventurous.

I will def. get two, then.

Idk about calling them flighty but they can be easily startled but if you want them super friendly always best to tame and handle them a lot. Of course some birds don't like to be handled but most of my silkies enjoy it.

Silkies with their extra toes and feathered feet tend to need their nails clipped from time to time especially if they'll be confined to a run and that will make it easier if they're tame. Their extra toe(s) don't usually wear down naturally. It's also better if they're tame if you decide to have them hatch chicks, if they trust you they're more likely to be okay with you handling the chicks and the chicks will usually be calmer around you too. Plus if they're comfortable with you it will make caring for Cordelia easier. You don't want them getting startled and startling her.

I do have a couple silkie girls that are a bit flighty but trimming their crest helps a lot. The world is scary if you can't see. One of my girls one time got startled and ran headlong into a tree lol so the crests can be a problem.

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Back
Top Bottom