Friesian Fowl Q&A Discussion Thread

Thank you for asking that question for me!
So if I (someday get silver) they will be bred separate. Makes sense.
Now, the gold and lemon - did you understand by this information, that we could breed those together?
Or, shall we keep them separate, too?
I am thinking that if you we interbreed the two, you could lose the pure lemon color and viceversa.
Do you have gold? Or just the lemon?
I understood from what he said, that they should be separated. I have both lemon and gold, but because of some bad information I have one rooster of each color in a big enclosure with 15 girls of both colors. Looks like I need to do some moving around now. I think the prevailing information in this country is that they are a landrace and can all run together. Apparently that is convenient, but wrong.

Gold rooster crowing.

Oh goodness, I think I must have a lemon Frisian. My roo does not look like that.
Maybe he is a result of a mix of gold and lemon? I will get a picture for you.
Send a picture of your lemon roo. Your gold is gorgeous.
I should call GFF and see what their opinion is of breeding these birds.

Oh goodness, I think I must have a lemon Frisian. My roo does not look like that.
Maybe he is a result of a mix of gold and lemon? I will get a picture for you.
Send a picture of your lemon roo. Your gold is gorgeous.
I should call GFF and see what their opinion is of breeding these birds.
GFF, sometimes seems to ad lib the answers. I trust a real breeder in Germany. He has shown me pictures of his birds and they are outstanding. This is my lemon rooster and pullet.

Yes! I agree with you regarding the opinion from German breeder.
I meant to say - I got my roo from GFF and I wonder if he is a mix of gold or lemon and how will I know!
If he is a mix, do I really want him? I want to have a breeding program pure in each color.

Yes! I agree with you regarding the opinion from German breeder.
I meant to say - I got my roo from GFF and I wonder if he is a mix of gold or lemon and how will I know!
If he is a mix, do I really want him? I want to have a breeding program pure in each color.
I was studying one of my lemon pullets today. In the sun, I can see she has streaks of the gold in her lemon. I think we got what we got from GFF. We are kinda at their mercy, but we can improve on it and not carry the bad practices forward. I was wondering if they started the landrace thing with this breed to justify the muddy colors? I do believe the colors can be cleaned up with good practices. Since silver is recessive, I would think letting them all run together would severely cut back on the silvers hatched. They are not a blue/black/splash breed and should not be treated as such. IMO.
The German breeder said my lemon rooster is good, but he saw the gold on the lemon pullets too. I think this breed is going to need some TLC not to get mucked up here in the US.

Back
Top Bottom