Frigid Temps = Lots of Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NYChicks345, Jan 4, 2012.

1. NYChicks345

NYChicks345 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Danube, NY
    Last night and today have been the coldest temps we have had here in upstate New York... My area was -4 deg.. I collected the most eggs I have gotten all season. I do not heat my coop except for the heater bases I use for the water but I do extend there daylight hours with lights on timers. Lots of Eggs! Good job ladies [​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

[​IMG] You go, girls!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    That's strange. Yesterday, my girls gave me the most I have had in months, and it was the coldest since last winter.
    What are they up to?

4. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 9 eggs today from my 10 hens. There was still one hen in the nesting box when I last collected the eggs. (Fingers crossed). Monday night was the coldest my girls have experienced so far.

5. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Deleted double post

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. NYChicks345

Jun 25, 2011
    Danube, NY
    I have 28 hens and 3 roosters plus 23 pullets and 2 cockrels ( pullets are not laying yet). I got 28 eggs out of 28 hens on the coldest night to date.

7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Wow I had the opposite. Coldest day of the season thus far where I live and I went from 5 eggs a day to 1. [​IMG]

8. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    Did you change their food? More sunlight?

At those temperature My chickens would stay inside under a blanket. [​IMG]

Celebrate!
    Denise

9. NYChicks345

Jun 25, 2011
    Danube, NY
    I haven't done anything different. It was just coincidence that it was the coldest night and i got an egg from every chicken.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Full moon cycle. The moon is waning now, but Monday thru Thursday, it was spectacular. Nature responds to the moon cycles. One doesn't have to be mystical to see that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by