Frizzle Genetics Question!

Steve, that is what people have been calling the curlies or like you said the ones that have a double dose of the Frizzle gene. I will search for a Frazzle, I know they have been posted before, possibly called a curly. I have never before had a bird with a double dose of the frizzle gene so I don't have a picture of my own.

Casey, Thanks for your expertise in this discussion. I remember your awesome Cochin Frizzles and you imput is much appreciated.

This is a thread regarding the Frazzle or Curly
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30714

This
chick is still young and could feather out more. The problem with them is that as they grow the feathers are brittle and break off leaving them with no defense against the cold or heat.

I have read alot about the frizzle gene, back when I first started on my frizzle seramas. I just never came across the term "frazzle". The older books did refer to the term "curly". I know "sizzle' refers to silkie frizzles...just didn't know what "frazzle" was...I didn't want to miss anything new...LOL

Jaynie, thank you for that comment! It is very much appreciated. If you go to feathersite there actually is a pic of a red frizzle cockerel that is a curly. Althought this bird has all his feathers and is not the typical look of a frazzle or a curly. The thing most new breeders of frizzles dont understand is that you should never breed two frizzles together and when they get these birds they breed them anyways or keep them in a group of birds. That is not a good thing as other birds will peck then until they bleed, once that happens they wont stop until the bird is dead. They can also get infections from the feathers breaking under the skin, as well as severe sunburn and not enough protection from the cold. They just simply think the bird is "featherless" and it is actually suppost to look like that when in reality it is only hurting the bird. If you have a curly or frazzle, and you dont have the heart to cull it (hope that doesnt bother anyone, with showing birds thats usually what happens) then keep it alone or with a small group of birds for comfort.

~Casey

Frizzles
DSCF5009.jpg

DSCF2530.jpg

DSCF2274.jpg

Frazzles (double dose)
DSCF2555.jpg

DSCF2552.jpg

DSCF3108.jpg

sizzles (silkie x frizzle)
DSCF2526.jpg

DSCF4707.jpg

DSCF3103.jpg

frizkie (frizzled silkies)
DSCF4997.jpg

DSCF4850.jpg

DSCF4852.jpg

frizkie and sizzle side by side...
DSCF4851.jpg

frizzle is a dominant gene... unless you're very, very, very, very lucky... then there's a very, very, very small chance your flock will carry the modifier mf...

Quality of frizzling is determined by feather size/ shape, best frizzling will occur if the chicken have wide, broad, medium length feather... , an established frizzled flock will have gone through the process of selection for those type of feather... hence the smooth of those will be ideal to carry on breeding the next generation.

DO NOT say the bird is CARRYING frizzle.... no such thing unless it is by some miracle also mf/mf.... as a dominant gene, you don't see it, you don't have it.

A frazzle/ double dose frizzle roo is a very handy bird to have in a frizzle breeding pen... run with all straight feathered hens, these will produce 100% frizzles..... although such roo is usualy short lived.

Last edited:
I see that you are from New Zealand? Every country has a different standard as to which every bird should look as well, so that should be taken into consideration. As well as every breed will look different. A Cochin Frizzle will not have the same frizzling in the feathers as a Polish or Japenese. And every bird individually will have different frizzling as well. Dont just assume that if you have a frizzle and breed it that all the birds will have the exact same frizzling in their feathers. That might help a little too. And thanks for those pics, very nice birds and great examples of what was being asked.

And a bird that has been crossed with a frizzle will and does carry a frizzle gene. Just as if you cross a Silkie over a smooth feathered bird, it might not have silkie feathering but it still carries the gene to be passed on to further generations. As well as the 5 toe gene or the blue skin gene or the gene that produces the top hat on some breeds. It will carry the gene, it will just be recessive and not dominant.

~Casey

Last edited:
Quote:
Correct, over here frizzle is a breed of their own, the effect of frizzling however depends on the feather quality of the normal feathered birds, like you said, a frizzle pekin will look totally different to a frizzle game...

A bird that has been crossed with a frizzle DOES carry frizzle gene as long as you can see it.... as I mentioned before, it's a dominant autosomal gene, you don't see it, you don't have it.... unless of course by a very small chance it's F/f and mf/mf... any normal feathered birds bred from F/f x f/f will just be a flat feathered bird, might be handy to use in future breeding if it has the feather quality needed... but apart from that, it DOES NOT carry the frizzle gene.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Jaynie
Hatch out a few more and you will get different results...keep us posted.
pop.gif
I have been wanting to see a frizzle with true silkie feathering. Probably would not be much difference because of the feathers ...Just wondering if you could tell the difference.

I will have to take a picture of my little frizzle silkie (sizzle) it is beautimous with pretty feathers and a soft fluffy under feathering.

Back
Top Bottom