Frizzle... is this the right breed for me

chickyflock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
I have owned laying hens (reds, orpingtons, wyandottes). I will be moving and I would like to start a small flock of 3 chickens. Here is what I am looking for:
1. It is very important that I have a quiet docile breed, neighbors will be closer than in previous home, smaller property.
2. They need to be winter hardy.
3. I would like some egg production for consumption, even 1 or 2 a day is good.

I have some breeds in mind but I never considered the Frizzle. I think they are absolutely the cutest chickens. I also like that they are smaller since I will not have a huge coop or lots of land. Can anyone give their input as to whether this is a good breed for my needs? Thanks

I have owned laying hens (reds, orpingtons, wyandottes). I will be moving and I would like to start a small flock of 3 chickens. Here is what I am looking for:
1. It is very important that I have a quiet docile breed, neighbors will be closer than in previous home, smaller property.
2. They need to be winter hardy.
3. I would like some egg production for consumption, even 1 or 2 a day is good.

I have some breeds in mind but I never considered the Frizzle. I think they are absolutely the cutest chickens. I also like that they are smaller since I will not have a huge coop or lots of land. Can anyone give their input as to whether this is a good breed for my needs? Thanks
"Frizzle" is not a breed. It is a genetic trait.

They are just a type of feathers .... not a breed with traits or anything. ... just like humans with curly hair. .. and the best breed in your situation are red sex links as they don't make any noticeable noise.... and when they lay eggs they don't soling that long loud song... they lay peacefully and quietly.... and they are not flighty and lay every single day.... even in winter.... and they are hardy in cold weather...so I always advice red stars.... they are the best ... and soo friendly

Oh...I didn't realize that the frizzle was not an actual breed, thanks for the info. The frizzle red sex link sounds like a hen that would really have the qualities I am looking for. Thanks for educating me now I can begin looking and researching so I can make an informed decision.

In my experience, noisiness or its lack is more the trait of individual birds than of a breed as a whole. I can't count the number of times I have heard or seen a post saying "red sexlinks are mean and aggressive" "red sexlinks are the sweetest gentlest chickens there around" "they are noisy" "they are quiet" "they are so friendly" "they are standoffish" and a dozen other contradictory points. You can substitute in just about any breed. I used RSL becasue that was what was mentioned. It could as well have been orpingtons, plymouth rocks, RIR, etc.

In my experience, noisiness or its lack is more the trait of individual birds than of a breed as a whole.  I can't count the number of times I have heard or seen a post saying "red sexlinks are mean and aggressive" "red sexlinks are the sweetest gentlest chickens there around"  "they are noisy" "they are quiet"  "they are so friendly" "they are standoffish" and a dozen other contradictory points.  You can substitute in just about any breed.  I used RSL becasue that was what was mentioned.  It could as well have been orpingtons, plymouth rocks, RIR, etc.

Yeah... maybe you're right.... but in my experience. ... all the mutts and breeds other than red sex links made a lot of noise... anyways it's not a problem here because everyone have chickens..... but really. .. red sex links didn't make a sound when laying just a bery calm and quiet song whe roaming and foraging. .. andwhen she started laying we ddidn't noticed anything. .. but suddenly we found a big nest hidden with around 20 or so eggs and she was sitting on them.... ; P

Back
Top Bottom