Frizzle serama Hen and a Golden laced wynndot roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dstillson15, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Dstillson15

Dstillson15 New Egg

Sep 30, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I purchased a few chicks in the spring time (10... just a few right?! lol) well out of all of them 1 I am pretty positive is a roo. I integrated my new girls (possibly one boy) in with my lonely frizzle serama sophia (who lost her sister around a short time after we got the chicks) I wanted them to establish a pecking order before they all grew much bigger then she was. She is a dominate little lady that holds her own, She's tiny as can be but will stand up to my astrolorpe like she is just as big! haha[​IMG]
    Anyways... POINT of my post. Is it possible to mate the GLW roo with my frizzle serama hen?[​IMG] I don't want her to get hurt but i read roo's can start attempting to mate when they are only about 15 weeks old give or take.. talk to me about this process... and if it's even a possibility. I'd love to breed her because she is beautiful and sweet and she has great genes but we don't have a roo right now (except for the possibility of carmella being a "carl") and city limits really deter us from having a roo but if i could possible mate them before having to rehome him that would be amazing... I think they'd make beautiful babies... frizzle chicks!!! be still my heart![​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A large fowl rooster attempting to mate a Serama hen is a recipe for disaster.

3. Dstillson15

Dstillson15 New Egg

Sep 30, 2014
    Central Indiana
    That's what common sense was telling me.... ugh I was hoping for a little chicken magic

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    More likely a little chicken pancake. Why not obtain an OEGB rooster to mate with her?

5. Dstillson15

Dstillson15 New Egg

Sep 30, 2014
    Central Indiana
    OEGB?

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Old English Game Bantam

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Or another Serama? Japanese bantams are small little birds too, they'd make a great match for a tiny Serama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by