Frizzle silkies

MLEW5541

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
Ok so if I want to get frizzlesilke baby's I need one parent that's a frizzle silkie and the other that's a silkie. My question is does it matter which on is the frizzle( hen or roo) or should it be the roo. Hens that I have now are paint silkie and a black hen silkie.

It doesn’t really matter which is which. You will get the same % of offspring. BUT I would recommend a frizzled roo over normal silkie hens. That will give you more chances since you have multiple hens.

It doesn’t really matter which is which. You will get the same % of offspring. BUT I would recommend a frizzled roo over normal silkie hens. That will give you more chances since you have multiple hens.
What would you say as to color of roo. I have a paint and black hen. Would love to have paints, or white frizzlesilke.Should I do just a white frizzle roo or a black?

What would you say as to color of roo. I have a paint and black hen. Would love to have paints, or white frizzlesilke.Should I do just a white frizzle roo or a black?
So white is recessive. You need a pair to get white offspring. I would get a white or paint roo. With that you’ll still get black offspring from your black hen but the offspring will be split to paint or white.

White silkies are recessive white.
Paints are one dose of dominate white. Paints won't bred true. Paint to paint produces pure white, paint and black.
Paint bred to black produces paints and blacks.

I wouldn't breed a White Silkie to a Black; As @The Moonshiner states, White Silkies are Recessive White, and often based on e+ Wildtype, rather than Extended Black; you would be messing up the e-series, which I would suggest not to do.

As your two current hens are Paint (Extended Black based, I assume; white with black spots, not red), and Black (Also Extended Black based), I would be going for a Black, Blue, Splash, Dun, Khaki or Chocolate; basically anything solid coloured is Extended Black based, so long as that colour is not White or Red/Buff.

ETA: A Black cockerel over your current birds, as an example, would produce 1/2 Paint chicks and 1/2 Black chicks with the Paint hen, and all Black chicks with the Black. The introduction of a dilution gene such as Blue would change the ratios, however as you're still within the e-series, it doesn't matter; they would still be considered pure for their variety.

So white is recessive. You need a pair to get white offspring. I would get a white or paint roo. With that you’ll still get black offspring from your black hen but the offspring will be split to paint or white.[/QUOTE thank you so much for the input trying to get as much info in before spring.

Back
Top Bottom