Frizzle thread

Pics
what kind of frizzle?

For some reason the quote button is not working for me...anyways, you CAN breed two frizzled birds together. Assuming they are both heterozygous for the frizzle gene, about a quarter of the offspring will not receive the frizzled gene, about a quarter will inherit two copies and the remaining half will inherit one copy of the gene. Those with two copies may well have extra brittle feathers. These birds are properly called "curlies." Some curlies have decent plumage, but I believe a lot of that has to do with extra attention to conditioning and making sure they receive plenty of fats in their diets. Nevertheless, many curlies suffer from extremely brittle plumage that easily breaks off, and therefore they often look very naked. Frizzle is also associated with some health conditions that make having two copies of the gene undesirable. I would suggest reading up on the gene (from real, scientific resources, not word of mouth posts where you cannot properly evaluate the level of knowledge of the poster or their source of knowledge. Hutt is a good starting point, but more recent studies would certainly be appropriate.

For some reason the quote button is not working for me...anyways, you CAN breed two frizzled birds together. Assuming they are both heterozygous for the frizzle gene, about a quarter of the offspring will not receive the frizzled gene, about a quarter will inherit two copies and the remaining half will inherit one copy of the gene. Those with two copies may well have extra brittle feathers. These birds are properly called "curlies." Some curlies have decent plumage, but I believe a lot of that has to do with extra attention to conditioning and making sure they receive plenty of fats in their diets. Nevertheless, many curlies suffer from extremely brittle plumage that easily breaks off, and therefore they often look very naked. Frizzle is also associated with some health conditions that make having two copies of the gene undesirable. I would suggest reading up on the gene (from real, scientific resources, not word of mouth posts where you cannot properly evaluate the level of knowledge of the poster or their source of knowledge. Hutt is a good starting point, but more recent studies would certainly be appropriate.
You just basically said the same thing we did/If you don't want to deal with brittle feathered chickens, don't breed two frizzles together.

^THIS is why you don't breed two frizzles together. She does give me 100% frizzled chicks though. What she lacks in looks, she makes up for in personality. She's also a good mom. Oh, and she's broody again :gig We call her Curly Sue

^THIS is why you don't breed two frizzles together. She does give me 100% frizzled chicks though. What she lacks in looks, she makes up for in personality. She's also a good mom. Oh, and she's broody again
gig.gif
We call her Curly Sue
sad.png
well at least shes in a loving home. i have what i think is long island red or red something liks.
here is what they look like. the thing is that i have them with their roo, and i added a frizzle which is the one in my avatar. these chicken likes to peck on him so he keeps himself away.

i just hatched five chicks and i think one might be from the frizzle one cause it looks totaly different than the others. is this posible?

:( well at least shes in a loving home. i have what i think is long island red or red something liks. here is what they look like. the thing is that i have them with their roo, and i added a frizzle which is the one in my avatar. these chicken likes to peck on him so he keeps himself away. i just hatched five chicks and i think one might be from the frizzle one cause it looks totaly different than the others. is this posible?
Yea, we do love her. She's a pain in the butt, but she's my pain in the butt :gig Its very possible your frizzle roo mated with those girls (and I agree, they look like red Sexlinks to me as well). If any of the chicks are frizzled, you'll be able to tell when their little wing feathers come in :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom