Frizzle thread

Pics
Okay so I haven't been able to breed my curly yet, but when the time comes I was wondering if there's a way I can keep him from getting his feathers pulled out. As it is, he is by himself and my two free range chickens (the only two who are more like dogs than chickens) socialize with him often enough, but my cochin roo tends to pluck at his feathers even through the fence. I'm just worried that when my little red Cochin banty hen becomes mature she'll pluck all of his brittle feathers and he'll get beaten up... Again.

These are both boys aren't they? The right is a cochin, I don't know about the left, Sally. I have people say they think he is a Serama, cochin and Mille Fleur D'Uccle. It is so hard to get a picture. Here is a video of my younger chickens outside. You can see Sally at the beginning, really well.

This is my sweet little Curlygirl, she's the most affectionate chicken I've ever owned, she is super curly and her feathers are soft, she kind of feels like a poodle. I've had a few people tell me that she is a "double frizzle", and that she will probably go bald, and I'm starting to worry as I've found some spots where her skin shows through, they're not exactly "bald" as there are still tiny feathers there, but I'm still worried
that's her tail
that's her wing
Please please tell me she's not going to go bald!

Yep, she looks like a double dose to me. As far as feather loss, some are worse than others. She may get worse (which would be my guess, judging by her feather structure- skinny, very curled feathers like that tend to break easily, even if they're soft). As long as she has friends to keep her warm and a draft free coop, the baldness won't bother her during the winter. Good luck
1f60a.png

Will she stay bald, or will the feathers eventually grow back? I've found a pattern for a chicken sweater I'm going to knit up for her when winter rolls around

Will she stay bald, or will the feathers eventually grow back? I've found a pattern for a chicken sweater I'm going to knit up for her when winter rolls around

I'm not going to lie, that is the coolest thing ever! I just got 6 week old fizzles and one is missing lots of feathers.. I may have to investigate this bird sweater idea!

She'll be pretty again after a moult. My frazzle had bald spots like that, and the same feather structure and she always looked like a normal chicken after new feathers came in. Keeping my rooster penned away from her also helped extend the life of her feathers. Good luck with the sweater. Please post pics
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom