Frizzle thread

Pics
Love all the new frizzles people are getting!  Since I have new frizzles too, I'm full of questions now about how to care for them and I hope some of ya'll will answer for me.

We want to move them to their big tractor pen this weekend.  How high should the roosts be so that they can jump up on it and jump down easily since they don't have much lift with their feathers?   Or will they need a walkup ramp to get to their roosts?

How long do I need to keep a heat light on for them to keep warm?  I am thinking that once they start roosting every night, I could take the heat lamp out.  Right or Wrong?

Thats all for now.  Thanks for any help ya'll can give me.

Rose66

Frizzles are very similar in their care to any chickens. They shouldn't go outside without a reliable heat source until fully feathered out. I'm not sure where you are located but you will want to very slowly faze out the additional heat otherwise the sudden cold will kill them. They need time to adjust.

Roosts will depend entirely on the size of your frizzle. I find my girl can hop up on a roost fine but I only have it about a foot off the ground. She is tiny though

Good luck!

[/IMG]. My little one bantam is getting bigger I just know it's a couple of weeks untill I hear a crow or get an egg I cannot wait to see I have figured out all my other chickens but this little one is kinda slow to show lol

Thanks for the help. My frizzles are 7 weeks old today and have been in a raised outside brooder with a heat lamp since they were 4 weeks old. Tomorrow I am moving them to an 8x8 tractor pen. The current roosts in that pen are about 4 feet high with a ramp going up to them. I am going to put in some new roosts that are 2 feet high and a ramp going up to them. Since my birds are standard size birds, I think 2 feet high roosts will be okay. I am worried about them possibility getting on the 4 feet high roosts and then when they jump down from them, hitting the ground too hard and hurting themselves since they do not have normal wing feathers to break their fall. Should I remove the 4 feet high roosts from the pen?

I'm also going to put their heat lamp in the new pen and they can use it if they want to since the pen is bigger than what they are in now. Then once they start regularly roosting at night on their roosts, I will remove the heat lamp totally. Does that sound okay?

Thanks for the help!

Yes I do think she could be a frizzle!!! Those feathers definatly look like frizzle feathers growing. This is one of mine at about a week and half old.

The feathers look the same to me :thumbsup

Anyone have frizzle naked neck, or other frizzled chicks for sale (preferably 2-8 weeks old) ?
In NJ so if not local will need shipping.
Culls ok not looking to breed or show unusual colors/patterns a plus.

Back
Top Bottom