Frizzle Welsummer??

DBLakeChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
I have a pullet that was purchased as a Welsummer and is currently 7wks old. She is chipmunk patterned and very long and leggy compared to the chicks of other breeds in her group (Brahma, Brabanter, D'Uccle, D'Anvers). She holds her head very high. I don't know if these are Welsummer traits. I'm almost convinced she has some frizzle in her... Her wing feathers are the only ones that have fully grown in, but her primary flight feathers flip up, and have for weeks... They seem almost as if they've grown in upside down... giving her a double feather mohawk down her back where her wings meet. So far, none of her other wing feathers are doing this. As the feathers around her shoulders and breast are just starting to grow in, they have that crazy patchy look, and I have no idea what they will do.

Having looked at other frizzle chicks, I would expect a more uniform feather curl. Does anybody have an idea if A: her traits other than the curl are typical for Welsummers and B: if this sounds like a frizzle chick?

I only have a couple blurry pics from three weeks ago, because my camera was lost to a rogue lady bug, but I offer them here for your perusal...

Possible angel wings? Either a frizzle was slipped in or it might be angel wings. I'm not experienced in this area, but it wouldn't hurt to do some more research on it

If she were a frizzle, all of those new feathers would be curled. It looks like that one wing has a deformity to me. If she's in your flock to be an egg layer, it wont be a problem, but you shouldn't breed her.

Good luck.

She doesn't look like a frizzle to me. A wing deformity is possible, or her feathers might just be going through a stage. I've recently have a Wyandotte cockerel with wing feathers just like hers. He looked like he had angle wing for a few weeks, but eventually feathered in normally. In case it is hereditary, I don't plan to breed the cockerel, but in his case at least, the problem didn't seem permanent.

Back
Top Bottom