Frizzled and White Ayam Cemani?

Would you buy a white or frizzled Ayam Cemani?

• Total voters

CiaBia

Songster
Feb 12, 2018
Miami, Florida
Before you call me crazy, please bear with me! I've been on a long hiatus from BYC so I'm a bit out of touch. 2 things to start.

#1: I've raised around 4 generations of my Ayam Cemani flock (adding new blood here and there). I originally purchased them from a hatchery in Naples, FL that was going out of business and was told they originated from Greenfire Farms stock. For the first couple hatches everything was normal, and then out came a white chick! It had dark skin, eyes, and nails just like a Cemani but hatched out with white/grey feathering. I swore I had a rogue rooster that was getting to my hens so I secured their pen and bred for several more months, only to get more and more white chicks. On average I would get 1 white for every 12 hatched. Did some googling and turns out there is something called a Putih Cemani in Indonesia. Putih - meaning white. Apparently some of my breeding stock are recessive for white, so I began breeding for white!

#2: I discovered what the frizzled gene was and decided that every chicken I owned needed to be frizzled, including my Cemani's. I started perfecting my frizzled Cemani and found out, yet again, there's a name for them in Indonesia - Walik Ayam Cemani. I now have 2 frizzled Cemani hens added to my flock.

In total, I have 5 hens and 1 rooster currently together. 2 frizzled, 1 white, 2 'standard' that are split for white and a 'standard' rooster split as well. I hatch out about 50% regular Ayam Cemani, 30% frizzled and 20% white.

So to get to my final point, I'm curious about selling hatching eggs. I've been selling locally here and there but decide to start shipping and have no clue what is a fair price. I've posted some listings on eBay to test the waters but I don't want to rip people off, or even sell too low if they are something to be desired.

So what do you think BYC? Would you buy a white or frizzled Ayam Cemani? Why or why not? If so, what price do you think is fair? All replies are greatly appreciated :hugs

Pictures incoming!

The white chick in the photo is the same bird from hatch to adult. You can see how the dark skin fades to grey as it ages.
IMG_20190503_142459938.jpg
IMG_20190503_142501628.jpg
IMG_20190503_144700706-2.jpg
IMG_20190503_145302076.jpg
IMG_20190503_143019455_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190503_144138257_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190503_143629333.jpg

Last edited:
$35.00 seems fair, unlike other sellers who sell them for $75, $84, $99, $120. I can't afford that.

Thanks so much for the input! I started the bidding yesterday at $50 for a half dozen. I guess I'll see in a couple of days what it ends at.

Ayam Cemani are a beautiful breed, but they do stink at laying eggs. I'm so sorry to hear about your two that didn't make it! Especially when they are so pricey :barnie

Thanks so much for the input! I started the bidding yesterday at $50 for a half dozen. I guess I'll see in a couple of days what it ends at.

Ayam Cemani are a beautiful breed, but they do stink at laying eggs. I'm so sorry to hear about your two that didn't make it! Especially when they are so pricey :barnie
You're welcome.
Wish you good luck.

$35.00 seems fair, unlike other sellers who sell them for $75, $84, $99, $120. I can't afford that.
35$ does seem like a good price but you also have to add in the cost to ship if you are, also, people are aminly intrested in pure bred ayam cemani not crosses. So that being said your eggs should not overpass the cost for ayam cemani unless they grow in popularity.

35$ does seem like a good price but you also have to add in the cost to ship if you are, also, people are aminly intrested in pure bred ayam cemani not crosses. So that being said your eggs should not overpass the cost for ayam cemani unless they grow in popularity.
Thanks for your input! I started the bid at $50 a couple days ago so I could gauge interest since I really have no idea what people are willing (or wanting) to pay for them. I guess this way they get to decide what’s fair which is good for me. It’s up to $76 right now so we’ll see where it ends at! Very excited to see the results.

The white Cemani happened naturally so I don’t consider them a cross. The frizzled has been bred back to pure Cemani over several generations so I could cull any non-Cemani traits like feathered feet. Since they both exist and have distinguishable names in Indonesia I was unsure if these variations had a market in America. Does anyone know someone on here with extensive experience or knowledge in Ayam Cemani? I’ve seen a post on here before on different types of Ayam’s but it was quite awhile ago and I’m not sure if the author is still on here anymore.

I definitely agree that these may not be for anyone. I fell in love with Ayam Cemani the second I saw one and I think most people (including myself at first) see them only as an all black chicken and nothing else. It’s hard to mess with perfection!

Back
Top Bottom