FRIZZLED chicken?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chikees123, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Chikees123

Chikees123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    Western Australia
    Hello everyone! :)
    I am overly surprised to see that I have a frizzled chicken...
    Today I went over to my neighbours yard to see my chooks. (I keep my chooks there along with their chooks since they have a huge yard) It had been a while since I had visited them, I am really busy these days.
    I visited them and looked around. My baby chickens had grown to mature chooks, they had changed a lot. Last time I went there, there was only two little white chickens that were from my chook Anna and my rooster Lucky, who are Isa Brown x Leghorn x Silkie. (Smooth feathered.)
    I looked over at the coop - There it was. A FRIZZLED chicken! I was speechless!! All of my chooks I have are smooth feathered and have no signs of frizzle heritage. (Except one of my chooks, Lucy, who is over at my place with my Puff and Fluff. Lucy hasn't even spent a second in the neighbour's yard!
    I can't believe it! Here is the lineage of the chicken.
    The font in italics means I am not too sure of parents. Lucky and Lime were definitely bred at the neighbours, though.

Fluff (Silkie) - Leghorn Fluff - Leghorn
    - -
    Anna - - - - Lucky/Lime
    -
    -
    Frizzled Chicken

All of the chickens in this lineage is smooth feathered! I am sure the frizzled chicken is the daughter of Anna and one of the two roosters, because it looks very much like them.

I just don't know what to do!! Does anyone have any information about this? I am bewildered!
    Any more information I am happy to give. Thanks! :)

Warm Regards,
    Chikees123 ;)

2. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Could it be your neighbor's chicken that he put in there for a bit because he had to separate it from his flock? Or could it be the offspring of one of his own?

If you haven't seen your chickens for that long, it could be anything. It could even be a neighbor that you haven't met who keeps chickens nearby, and a frizzle roo got loose and bred with someone.

Or it could also be a chicken that someone dumped on to your property, or one that lost its way home, and your neighbor assumed it was yours and put it with your flock.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by