Frizzled Cochin chick with eye infection

mom2joshcanpark

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Hi all,
I have a baby Frizzled chick and I have had her a week +. About 3 days ago I bathed her, she was real nasty from where she came. I noticed her eye was matted shut, I cleaned it and thought maybe it was just from the food and other chick. Well I have kept an eye on it and it has gotten worse.

Yesterday the eye became hairless and swollen, I again cleaned it, the swelling went down and she eventually opened her eye.

Today, the was swollen again, so I cleaned it again, today all I could see was white, I thought she had lost her eye, but I continued to clean it just in case it was pus, and it was. A huge amount of pus came out.

On the outter soft membrane of the eye is a long pink line looking like a scratch, and I noticed today her scratching it. So I am not sure if that is what happened.

Anyway, since the pus is on the inside what can I give her to make the infection go away?
Thanks

You can use eye wash for people that you get from the drug store to gently rinse the eye with. At TSC or a lot of feed stores, you can get Terramycin eye gel. Wash the eye and apply the gel twice a day. The chick will probably think it feels good. If you need to, you can also get water soluble Terramycin to put in the water, but I would start with just the gel first and see how the chick does. Once the eye is open, continue to rinse it and apply the gel around the outside of the eye for a few more days. I don't think I'd try to physically remove the pus; the wash and gel should clear it up. Monitor the chick, though because sometimes this is a sign of other things. We had chicks before though with eye injuries similar to that and it was no big deal.

Did you get this frizzle from McMurry? A friend of mine bought 25 birds from there and I took a couple of frizzles. One died in 24 hours and the other had a bad eye infection. I have been treating it for a month. They had also been vaccinated for Mereks...had yours?

Chickmania,
Thanks for the reply, actually after I wrote this, I started going through the pet first aid kit and realized I had some Terramycin and put it on her eye. Next day it was all better, but still continued for a few days.

But she is getting worse. The top of her head is purple, she is constantly scratching her head. I am afraid to bath her more in the fear she may die.

This is my 3rd chicken from this hatchery and this is the only one living. My silkie died the other day, I had the Silkie for 3 weeks to the day and she died suddenly like the other Frizzled Cochin.

I am really at my wits end on this, I have never had so much trouble raising birds in my life than the 3 of these guys I got from the same place.

Anyway, if you know what I should do now, let me know, I am lost. Here is an update.....

Both eyes are pusy now, not as bad as that one day though, the eyes are having drainage, I saw drainage on her nostral, but could of been water, haven't seen since. Her whole head/neck is a dingy, dirty, brown/yellow color (she is white but hasn't lost all the yellow coloring yet). Her real bad eye is pink still, above her other eye is purple, looks like major bruising.

I have started the eye ointment on both eyes as of yesterday, started her on Electrolytes and Terramycin in her water. I am alternating what she drinks, 1 bowl, Terra, 1 bowl electra.

She also feels very heavy for a chick her size and she feels hot, but that maybe because I have her in the bathroom with a heater, I turn it down real low and it kicks on when the bathroom gets past a certain degree.

My son, age 10 and autistic is distraught after Marabou died (the Silkie), he is wanting me to get him another and until I know she is disease free I don't want to. Not to mention I don't have another place to keep another chicken I have 19 cats in my house right now and I have to keep an eye on who goes where and it is wearing me out....lol Luckily all my cats are behaving themselves:)

Anyway, between losing our first Frizzled, nearly losing my 9 year old duck, losing our Silkie that all my family had fallen in love with (much different than the OMG, what is that, when I brought her home..lol) and now this, I am about to pull my hair out.

Quote:
Hi Pinenot,
Nope, didn't get them there, had inquired though. But found these 8 minutes from where I live. She has almost every chicken, duck and rabbit you can think of...lol

She said she vaccinates and medicates all her fowl. She sent me home with feed that was medicated as well.

Nope, didn't get them there, had inquired though. But found these 8 minutes from where I live. She has almost every chicken, duck and rabbit you can think of...lol

She said she vaccinates and medicates all her fowl. She sent me home with feed that was medicated as well.

so I am assuming this is a private person and not a "proper" hatchery? I dont care howmany birds and breeds she has available ... I wouldnt buy another bird from her...
Please go to www featherfanciers.com and post your story and pics of the bird ... this is Peter Browns forum from FirstSTate Vet Supply (so if you need any meds he can supply you with them and instructions for use in your individual situation)
He is not a vet perse but he is very knowledgeable about the meds he sells and chicken illnesses and I feel in this case you will get the advice you need and any meds quicker for your situation by going there
(((hugs)))​

Last edited:
That is what I keep telling myself and my son (not to buy anymore from her).

I myself am a former veterinarian assistant, I dealt with birds, but never really cared for them, so I do know some stuff about animal care and this all has me stumped and it is heartbreaking on top of that, and honestly I don't know if I can get attached to another chickie only to have her die especially after 3 weeks, to me that is a long time.

I did bathe this little one, the down on her neck and head actually has bluish black color to it so that is why she is so dark, but after the bath, she is still lighter there than before.

I double checked her neck and head for lice and mites, and I don't see anything. I combed it all back so I can keep an eye on her eye sockets and sides of her face better.

She just constantly keep scratching her head and still is even after the bath.

She is eating, but I haven't seen her drink, her bowl looks smaller but that could just be me...lol She is walking around too, but falling into deep restful sleeps, she only does that every now and then.

So I am hoping the Terramycin will cure this, but I will contact the person you posted.
Thanks

sorry...I should not multi-task I meant:
2.5 Avian Mycoplasmosis (Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma Meleagridis and Mycoplasma Synoviae) same link:

Here is also another article discussing eye disorders (bacterial disease details discussed in detail at the previous link):
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS031
(excerpt)
Bacterial Infections
A number of bacterial infections can lead to damage of the eye. Salmonella bacteria, particularly Salmonella typhimurium and Salmonella arizona , are known to cause severe purulent conjunctivitis and ophthalmitis (inflammation of the eyeball and conjunctiva with pus) and blindness. Often young birds acquire the infections from the hen or through navel or yolk sac infections.

Fungal Infections
Molds readily grow on a number of different materials, including poultry feed and litter. A common mold is Aspergillus . Birds can be exposed to Aspergillus or other fungi in the hatchery, or more commonly in poorly dried litter. While Aspergillus is usually considered a respiratory tract pathogen, it can also invade the brain and eye. Yellow plaques develop and can be found under the eyelid. The eye becomes inflamed and severe damage can occur.

Respiratory Infections
A number of respiratory diseases can cause conjunctivitis, including Newcastle disease, laryngotracheitis, infectious bronchitis, chlamydia, and mycoplasma. These infections do not damage the eye itself, but cause the bird discomfort, leading to rubbing and scratching of the eyelids. Permanent eye injury with these conditions is rare. However, sinusitis can develop, causing swelling of the sinus under the eyelid and adding to bird discomfort.

Nutrional Deficiencies
Certain vitamin deficiencies, such as vitamin A and vitamin E, can result in damage to the eye. Vitamin A is necessary for the production of visual pigment of the retina and for maintenance of the lining of the tear ducts. Vitamin E is necessary for maintenance of the lens protein in the developing embryo. Vitamin E is passed from the breeder hen to the egg. If the breeder is receiving inadequate vitamin E in the diet, the embryo will suffer from a vitamin E deficiency and possible blindness. Vitamin deficiencies are rare when commercial poultry feeds are used. ..."

Back
Top Bottom