Cincy_Chickens

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2021
Cincinnati, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I am new to this site. I am from Cincinnati, Ohio. Currently I am trying to hatch some of my own eggs. Both parents are tiny. They are the two birds on the left in the picture. The hen is frizzled and my rooster is an Old English Bantam. I am curious what are the odds that I get more frizzles? How long will it take to know after the eggs hatch if they have the frizzled gene? I read somewhere that old english bantam frizzles are rare, will it be difficult to get frizzles with my rooster? I thought my hen was a bantam frizzle.

Attachments

• DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 37
Frizzle is dominant, so if your pairing (OEGB x Frizzle) had 100 chicks you'd have roughly 50 frizzles (50% of chicks should be frizzled). What you have appears to be a Frizzle Bantam Cochin (frizzle is a feather type, not specifically a breed : D) I imagine that Frizzled OEGB's are quite rare, getting that specific standard type AND the frizzled feathers would be a little tricky, although if thats something you want to breed for you need to ditch the cochin, try serama : D

Although I take it you probably don't want to ditch her, breeding her with your little OEGB is gonna make cute little mixes but the chicks won't be good for breeding true to the 'type' that OEGBs have, you'll probably get some chicks with shorter legs, some with longer, some with feathered legs (excuse my assumptions that she's a cochin, MANY frizzles are cochins although I can't see her legs to be 1000% sure it looks like shes got feathered legs) all chicks should have a single/straight comb like the parents, as to what colour the chicks would be... I'm gonna put my money on the golden/red/buff colour like mom, I'm thinking that your little roo is a 'black breasted red' according to standard, partridge genetically, I think the gold/buff is dominant over that...

either way, should be a fun little batch of chicks, you should be able to tell whose frizzle and not easily within the first month (feathers grow in curly/curved) some may be more frizzled than others, some may be only mainly frizzled in one area. oh! and also remember, no breeding frizzle x frizzle!

Her feet do have feathers on them.

Frizzle is dominant, so if your pairing (OEGB x Frizzle) had 100 chicks you'd have roughly 50 frizzles (50% of chicks should be frizzled). What you have appears to be a Frizzle Bantam Cochin (frizzle is a feather type, not specifically a breed : D) I imagine that Frizzled OEGB's are quite rare, getting that specific standard type AND the frizzled feathers would be a little tricky, although if thats something you want to breed for you need to ditch the cochin, try serama : D

Although I take it you probably don't want to ditch her, breeding her with your little OEGB is gonna make cute little mixes but the chicks won't be good for breeding true to the 'type' that OEGBs have, you'll probably get some chicks with shorter legs, some with longer, some with feathered legs (excuse my assumptions that she's a cochin, MANY frizzles are cochins although I can't see her legs to be 1000% sure it looks like shes got feathered legs) all chicks should have a single/straight comb like the parents, as to what colour the chicks would be... I'm gonna put my money on the golden/red/buff colour like mom, I'm thinking that your little roo is a 'black breasted red' according to standard, partridge genetically, I think the gold/buff is dominant over that...

either way, should be a fun little batch of chicks, you should be able to tell whose frizzle and not easily within the first month (feathers grow in curly/curved) some may be more frizzled than others, some may be only mainly frizzled in one area. oh! and also remember, no breeding frizzle x frizzle!

Attachments

• DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    517.9 KB · Views: 9

:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom