Frizzled Guineas????

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by akcountrygrrl, Jun 20, 2010.

1. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I picked up the last 7 keets from the feed store yesterday and a couple of them look like they are frizzled. I've never seen or heard of frizzled guineas before. So, I'm wondering if it's possible or are their feathers just in really poor condition???? These little guys are 3-4 weeks old and were in a regular chick brooder eventhough they couldn't stand up straight.

2. grammy of David

grammy of David Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    rural Kansas
    Why Did You Buy Them...hope You Did Not Pay Full Price!

3. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    They were on sale and I felt really bad for them. The other babies I got from there are beautiful - buff dundottes and pewter (or slate) - and healthy. The brooder these guys were in was just too short for them. They seem really happy in their new digs. I was just curious as to whether or not anyone had ever heard of frizzled guineas. I didn't expect to get lambasted for doing something good for these poor animals. Geesh.

1 person likes this.
  4. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I'm glad you took them out of that brooder before they developed some sort of problem from being hunched over all the time! I've never seen any type of frizzled Guinea, but then again, I'm extremely new to them.

5. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Thank you. They're all eating well and very active and vocal so, hopefully, they'll be fine.

6. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I hope the babies are doing well. I would have done the same thing that you did so don't feel bad about it. I believe you did the right thing to give these babies a chance at a good life.

1 person likes this.
  7. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Someone posted frizzled guineas a while back. I think they out grew it.

8. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Might be mutants. A new breed! [​IMG]

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have had turkey poults look frizzled from sitting under the light bulb too close to it. They straightened out after I raised the light.

10. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I don't feel bad about my choice at all. [​IMG] And I wouldn't be disappointed if they were frizzled. I like things out of the ordinary. That's why I have Guineas in the first place. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what these guys decide to do. [​IMG] Now if only I could find some Vulturine Guineas...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by